Friday 22 February 2019

Thursday 21st February 2019

One month before the spring equinox, and when the clocks will spring forward.

Sp much more daylight now, even more in Denmark where it is getting light, or the first signs as I near to Billund Airport.

But to get there I have to get up, and for a change I slept like a log, and was woken from a deep sleep by the alarm on my phone.

So I get up, go to have a shower and pack. Downstairs I settle the bill, and walk to the car, dodging between the cars heading off to work early. I load my bags into the car, turn on the ignition and ease out onto the main road.

As I leave the town, the towers for my project are standing in two rows of five. They look impressive, but these are just the lower third sections, and will be much, much taller in a few weeks.

I go out onto the motorway, or motorvej as the Danes call it, but I know what they mean, then up the near dead straight r30 towards the airport. I make good time, and anyway I know if I arrive too early there will be long queues at security.

I am behind a truck, but it is doing 85 kmh, so I cruise along behind it, turning off towards the airport for the final 15 km, getting to the parking lot at just after seven.

And there was still a long line at security, so I check in my bags, then go to the cafe of breakfast and a nutella roll. And by the time I have eaten and drunk, there was no line. So I walk to the scanner, put my stuff in trays and am through.

I don't look in the shop, instead find a place to sit and work, once I get online using the old VIP password which gives ultra fast access. Will kill me if they change the password.

Anyway, I make a couple of Skype calls, answer mails and then go to the gate for the flight to be able to board. But poor weather in London meant the flight was delayed, so we wait and wait until we are allowed on half an hour late, then wait 15 minutes more before we can take off, finally having a landing slot.

We climb through clouds and into the bright morning at cruising altitude, I read a book, and decline breakfast, as I promised myself if I did not eat until i got home I would have a toasted cheese sandwich, and I really wanted one of those.

So we fly down over Holland and along the Belgian coast, crossing over to the Thames estuary where I get a glimpse of Thanet before the clouds obscure all sight of the ground.

We fly blind through clouds, the engines labour and the plane is buffeted. I hang on to my seat. Landing gear is lowered, flaps applied, and finally, as the are above Belmarsh prison, we see the ground. We leap over the river and touchdown.

Back home.

The delay meant I had already missed the earlier plane, so no worries, no need to hurry. We get off and walk into the terminal, a short walk to immigration, and once through my case is waiting.

A dash through the arrivals hall, and up to the station and a two minute wait for a train to Stratford.

Fifty two It is half term, so the trains are full of families taking their little darlings to the centre of town for some activities or the other, and once the Dover train pulled in, that has lots of families too, mostly heading for Folkestone, but some coming to Dover. Meaning that once off the train, all the taxis were taken, and I had to wait 20 minutes for the next one to come.

He takes me to Station Road, leaving me with a short walk to Chez Jelltex, where my arrival only arouses slight interest from both cats who quickly go back to sleep.

I have my long-promised lunch, then get online with the work computer as I have a meeting.

And by the end of that, I am washed up, washed out, and fit for nothing other than slumping on the sofa to watch Lucy in some documentary about the "Glorious" Revolution.

I put my case and washing away, then prepare dinner; cut veggies and potatoes, as I am having mini steak and ale pie, and Jools is having smoked salmon.

I also hit the wine, two and a half glasses, but that makes things fine. We toast each other and tuck in.

And that is it, as we are both bushed We listen to the radio until 9, then go to bed, so we will be refreshed for the weekend.

No comments: