Friday 8 February 2019

Thursday 7th February 2019

Another day, more dancing.

I was in Esbjerg as there was a big meeting with the customer, where we would all sit round a table and discuss things, and I was hoping common sense would break out. It was asking a lot, tbh.

It was another grey, gloomy and wet day in Denmark. The kind of weather you expect in winter in the country. I swear there was a little sunshine on Tuesday, but none since then, and nothing but heavy rain was expected all day.

I get up and get ready for the day, have breakfast and drive the five minutes to the port where we have our offices. New offices.

As I have lost my swipecard, I have to wait for someone to let me into the compound, then find the room where the meeting was to be held in, catch up with mail, attend a department meeting, and then be ready for the customer team to arrive at ten.

Eyes down, and take your partners.

Some four hours later, we were done, and I can state there was little sign of any common sense, and at one point I was seen (really) holding my head in my hands weeping "no, no, no". I am hoping they are getting the message that contractual obligations sometimes don't work in the real world.

But we shall see.

I use the rest of the day to plan more meetings and travel for the next few weeks until Brexit, and then nothing, as I don't know what it will bring, but is likely that it will be chaos.

I am bushed, so finish at four, drive back to the hotel, where I soon realise I am so thirsty, and think that a beer might be a good idea.

I was to meet friends for a meal at half six, but I was an hour early, so call in Dronning Louise for a pint of diet Coke and a beer. I make them both last fifty minutes, spend the time people watching, and trying to make sense of the news on the TV which was all brexit-related.

I walk round the corner to Bones where current and former colleagues turn up after I have invited them. I hadn't seen Steffen for over two years, and was a good meeting. As it was with Brian who is still recovering from his heart attack last year.

Thirty eight We all have ribs.

Huge amount of ribs. Smothered with spicy sauce.

Lovely.

Really lovely.

But I have an early start in the morning, and the others have wives and partners to return to, so it is just Steffen and I who go back to Dronning Louise for a nightcap of another Westmalle Dubbel before we say our goodbyes too. Hopefully won't be two years until we meet again.

I walk back to the hotel, into the teeth of strong north easterly breeze.

Home on the morra!

No comments: