Wednesday 19 June 2019

Tuesday 18th June 2019

I woke up in my huge room with wonderful views over the Aarhus rooftops, or did have once I opened the curtains, thus presenting the city with fine views of my petite beauty.

But I suspect that no one was looking at my tenth floor window.

I have the luxury of laying in bed to eight, if I wanted, as the team event I was in the city foot, was to take place in the very same building, and with breakfast for attendees beginning at half eight, I go down for breakfast in the restaurant at quarter to eight to have stewed rhurbarb and yoghurt along with coffee.

Always coffee

And after a lazy half hour spent drinking more and more coffee before trying to find the room where the team event was due to take place. I find colleagues Morten and Steen having their breakfast perched on bar chairs. So I join them in another coffee, and we catch up.

Yes, a team event. Enough to chill the heart, but there was no avoiding it. We were due to spend most of the next eight hours going through the roles and responsibilities we have.

Power Windows And at nine, we begin.

And let the talking start.

We break at ten, and at one for lunch.

Then carry on to half five. With only coffee and cake to sustain us. As we talked on the afternoon, storm clouds gathered, and soon thunder rumbled and lightning flashed around the rooftops.

One hundred and sixty eight At half five we go for early dinner, clearly we had not enough to eat, so we are served a three course meal. A set meal, but was OK; fish mousse followed by lamb and vegetables and rounded off with a strawberry macaroon.

Yummy.

At eight, we split up, but I am here for the night, so I took a glass of wine upstairs, and logging onto FB I find a former RAF colleague and fellow Norwich fan had lost his life that day.

Neil had suffered liver and kidney failure over the weekend, and had been in a coma in Saudi since he fell ill. Another colleague went to see him Monday night, sat beside Neil's bed until his life ebbed away.

Street Life Neil had been divorced since I knew him. Gotten himself a new wife, and was building for them a dream home on a beach in Malaysia. It was almost finished, and his life of retirement and luxury were due to begin in the next few weeks.

But not now.

I raised a glass and a toast to my fiend.

Goodnight, sweet prince.

I call Jools and that is it for another day.

No comments: