Monday 29 July 2019

New season treats

Summer seems never ending, but the truth is that the break in the footy is just about 12 weeks. And that is filled with the Women's World Cup, that new fanged Euro thing and the U21 championships. So, we've not been suffering from a drought.

And yes, this weekend, the Football League begins, without, for the first time in four years, Norwich taking part.

We kick off with the rest of the Premier League the week after. In fact, Norwich kick the Premier season off, playing away at Liverpool, and I can reveal here that I have a ticket for the game, and so will be travelling up there with Jools for the weekend for football, beer, friends and a new haul of GWUK shots.

One thing I had been waiting for, was the When Saturday Comes (WSC) season preview. That arrived today. Now, I know I'm a fan and everything, but last year we played some great football and I thought most fans of other clubs would be impressed with the team, football and fans we took around the country.

Most failed to mention us, as many made negative comments as positive ones. Leeds didn't surprise me, I mean we did take the place that they thought was theirs all along. But Sheffield Utd said we showed bad gamesmanship?

And in the preview section, they have Norwich to finish 18th and so get relegated.

I think we'll do alright to be honest. I could see us finishing anyway from 6th down. 17th would be a disappointment to be honest, but we shall see.

Norwich haven't splashed the cash this summer. They never were going to. And despite the wonderful record the past two years in recruitment, some fans equate lack of spending with lack of ambition. They have spend the summer securing the current squad with new and improved contracts. So, all is pretty good in the Norwich City world.

Ipswich will be playing in the 3rd division for the first time in 60 years, so there will no games between us for at least a year.

Maybe longer.

No comments: