Thursday 25 July 2019

Work

When I ended my holiday at the end of May and travelled to Denmark, I really did not know what would greet me. In my mind, there was a chance I could be fired.

Looking back, I can see that if that was going to happen they would not have let me spend three grand booking a ten day stay just to fire me when I walked in the office. But still, those were dark days. But again, not as dark as the days before the vacation when the walls really were closing in around me.

Now, well, there are four or five of us, working on the quality track, I have the part I look after, except for the last three weeks when my successor went on holiday, and that is what I do.

I have caught up on the admin that needed to be done, chased people for replies and answers to issues, and begun to get paperwork that holds most jobs and businesses together, done.

Phew.

At the same time, I had applied for the new job. That began in April, and it wasn't certain they would even consider me.

They did, I had an interview, had to complete a test, and a personality test too. And I had one!

Then I got the job, and gave me time to see this project out before I started, well, nearly.

I now have an exit date from the project, though that doesn't absolve me of all responsibility, and my first task in the new job, the week after, is to visit a site in Scotland.

I have booked travel already, by train from Dover to Aberdeen, and looking forward to the train journey, looking out of the window for some eight hours.

Lastly, I did not know what I was going to be paid for the new job. I thought I might lose 20%, but the good news was that I am on the same money as before, so cash to travel and chase orchids. Which is obviously great.

I am happy again, smiling and laughing, and looking forward to the new job and the future.

No comments: