Sunday 7 July 2019

Saturday 6th July 2019

I have brought a friend with me on this trip. Although I have a computer and mobile phone, that doesn't work when I am sat in a restaurant, wanting to unwind. I would bring book, but if its fiction, I get too engrossed and want to finish it as soon as possible. And I had run out of non-fiction, finishing the Stiff Records book before the weekend began.

But I thought ahead and brought a friend.

The most remarkable of all books ever to come out of the great publishing corporations of Ursa Minor. Cheaper that the Encyclopedia Galatica and has the words "Don't Panic" written on the cover.

Easy enough to dip into each evening, but not leave me gasping as to what happens next, as I have read it 42 times previously. Probably.

And I could have the whole weekend off, as the installation vessel was still installing on the Bight, but the weather was grim.

Very grim.

So, I got up like a normal working day, had a shower, dressed and went down to breakfast, which at seven was very empty.

Then to work, where I was the first person in.

So, I get a coffee, look at the internets and over the next four hours, sent all of two mails.

The others arrive, we talk about work, and I ask one of my minions to translate parts of the orchid book.

It should be a bright, if windy afternoon, and I had plans for an orchid hunt. As I wrapped up to leave, rain hammered down outside, but I was assured that it would pass quickly.

So I drove north to Varde, then along its complex one way system onto the 181, then to Henne, and down a byway to a sand dune.

Yes, a sand dune.

Fiks Punkt A man made sand dune.

Left over from the geographical survey in the 19th century, by just using trigonometry, the country, most countries, were accurately mapped.

The great Danish Orchid hunt. Part 2 This was one of the fixed points.

And from here, so Google Earth suggested, I could go for a walk to the large lake just in view to the east.

The booked said there were orchids here, and I though beside the lake was a good bet.

I park the car, walk to the top of the dune, see the trig point, look to the lake, and realise it was going to be a hike.

Just to the north there was a path and a sign pointing along it. I had no idea what the sign said, but it suggested I wouldn't be trespassing.

I set off with the keen breeze at my back, past a herd of cattle, cows on one side, the bull on the other. He didn't look too happy with the state of affairs.

The great Danish Orchid hunt. Part 2 I take his picture, and walk on.

The path turned beside the lake. I say beside. About a 100m from it, along a muddy path, muddy enough to have a boardwalk over the boggier parts.

The great Danish Orchid hunt. Part 2 It all looked like full of orchid potential, but I saw no spikes.

The great Danish Orchid hunt. Part 2 In fact, I saw mostly Honeysuckle. And grass. Lots of grass. But there was bell heather too. Lots of that.

The great Danish Orchid hunt. Part 2 A path went to the lake, but only lead to a bird hide. I went in and saw some dots on a distant island that might have been birds, but I wouldn't swear to it.

I walk on.

I see a new plant, but one I recognised, Crested Cow Wheat, the food plant of the Heath Fritillary, but I saw none of those. I was thrilled to see the plant though, does that make me a geek?

One hundred and eighty  seven I walk on and come to a visitor centre, but it wasn't open, nor had vending machines. I mention this as I was hungry and thirsty.

But there was a map. And on the map it showed a causeway over the lake, and on the other side, "meadows".

Orchid country.

I thought.

So, I walked to the start of the causeway. By then the breeze had strengthened, and although it was at my back then, I would have to walk into it on the way back.

The great Danish Orchid hunt. Part 2 So, I walked along it, seeing various plants on both sides: some large dandelion type plants, marsh woundwort, Purple Loosestrife, Yellow Loosestrife.

The meadows were getting no closer.

I decided to walk back to the car, and drive round the other side of the lake.

Which I did.

My legs ached. My heart wan't into more orchiding, but as I was there.

The great Danish Orchid hunt. Part 2 I had no map, but I knew roughly where to go, but after turning down the lane, the paving ran out, and it wasn't clear where the road would lead. I was right in that it went to the lake, but I wasn't sure then, so turned round and drive back to Esbjerg.

The great Danish Orchid hunt. Part 2 Back at the hotel, I listen to the radio, then go down for dinner.

Dinner is different at weekends; slices of beef rib, vegetables and a salad bar. Though the waitress didn't tell me about the salad bar, or eat as much as you can beef.

But it turned out one portion was enough, but I decided I could fine room for a creme brulee and coffee.

Yummy.

No comments: