Sunday 30 December 2018

End of year Brexit

I was rereading some old posts yesterday, and came across one from two years ago where I said what would happen when Brexit met reality.

What I said then has been proven right, and I'm pretty sure that 90% of what I said about Brexit has been too.

We reach the end of a shitty year, with the only thing we can be sure of is that next year is going to be worse.

Constitutional crisis, Brexit, no Brexit, food shortages, black outs, brown outs, elections, second, third referendums.

Maybe some, maybe all, but for now, as I always say, by operation of international law, Brexit will happen on 29th March 2019, two months and twenty nine days away. This is series, but both the Government and Labour are playing internal party politics on a matter that will have huge, probably disastrous consequences for the country.

I have been harder, at times, on Labour than the Government, because as opposition, they should oppose. Oppose and question, hold the Government to account. Faced with the worst Government in living memory pursuing a policy that could bankrupt the country, Corbyn is barley neck and neck in the polls, when they should be 30% up. The Tories and May's Government in prosecuting Brexit was always going to be a disaster, Labour's support for it wasn't and shouldn't have.

But we are where we are.

No comments: