Monday 24 December 2018

On (festive) Allergies

I have been suffering these allergic attacks for something like eight years now.

First I thought it was flu, then keeping this blog I was able to see there was a pattern.

Then I had to fond out what it was I was allergic to. The doctor was little help, but officially it is dust, dust mites and dust mite poo. But I came to see I could suffer an attack after showering if I used too much shower gel and/or deodorant.

Once I found if I took antihistamine pills it could stop an attack. So, over the years I popped hundreds of pills, hoping that it would stop an attack, sometimes it did, mostly did not.

And if it didn't, my nose and sinuses had mucus set like concrete making breathing, sleeping and sometimes eating impossible.

Last year, I thought through careful management, I did not have a major attack, so thought I had it beat. And along came this year, with regular and severe attacks.

Then, speaking the allergy charity a couple of months ago, I found that if your nose isn't running, then don't take antihistamine. So, I stopped and the attacks were not so bad.

And now, an attack coupled with my bad back made me especially miserable, and yesterday, another attack began, I tried everything, including the "magic" box, nasal sprays and the saline nasal douche. All failed.

Looking at me so miserable sitting at the table, Jools said that maybe we should treat my attack as congestion. Why not I shrugged.

I took two squirts of nasal spray and went back feeling sorry for myself.

I sneezed a couple of more times, then, as if by magic, my nose cleared. It still itched, but that faded too. So, by the time I went to bed, I had no attack at all.

I have been so miserable these past few days, the back is bad enough, but the allergies on top made me very blue indeed. I can only image how those with long term might feel if there was never any rest bite.

But, it is Christmas Eve morning, I am still fine, about to go for a shower and generally be the life and soul of the party.

No comments: