Sunday 9 December 2018

Weekend Brexit news

Oddly, there is not much to report, as tings continue much in the way they have for some days.

The Government has said that the vote on the WA will take place on Tuesday, though there seems very little chance of it being passed, at least the first time. I say that because plenty of brexiteers and the Labour leader seems to think that some other kind of "deal" can be obtained in the four months remaining between now and 29th March. As ever they forget there is another party to such possible additional talks, and there is very little appetite from the EU of there being anything else to discuss, as a WA and framework frade agreement have been negotiated, and just need to be ratified by the UK.

The EU knows, despite what it might say, that this is a tough sell for May, which is why they, in their view, gave as much as they did, to help the selling.

If, as expected, the WA is voted down, no one really knows what will happen, the best hope for the remainers is that May clings on and tries to steer Parliament towards another vite. Brexiteers know that the default position is to the leave, so if May were to lose and be toppled, a leadership contest or even an election could take place at the same time as the Brexit clock ticks down.

What annoys me, really, is that I spend my free time blogging about Brexit, and in that time know far more about non-tariff deals, WA and the UCJ and such that is healthy. I am glad I have done it, I feel better informed than had I just listened to the BBC, but how can it be right that I feel better informed than Government Ministers or BBC correspondents? I could ask trickier questions that Laura Kuenssberg does. I mean how hard can it be to answer questions that would cause the Brexits lie fall in like the house of cards built on sand like we know it is?

This is an actual tweet from BBC politics: "Are you worried that Parliament will overrule the will of the people? Or are you hoping they will reverse the result of the referendum?

If Theresa May doesn’t get her deal through there may well be an election soon after. Are you ready or dreading that?"

I'll leave it there, as words fail me right now.

No comments: