Tuesday 25 December 2018

Monday 24th December 2018

Christmas Eve.

Merry Christmas.

And all that.

Turns out we had forgotten a couple of things at Tesco, so we had to decide whether we could do without them or brave going early doors.

We decided the latter, arriving at Tesco just after seven in the morning, when it was still fairly calm. I filled the car with fuel whilst Jools rattled round the store getting what we needed. She was in and out in 5 minutes. From there it was a 20 minute drive to Sandwich then along the Canterbury road to Preston and the butchers.

Three hundred and forty five The boys have little do do as they have bagged up the orders that had been made. So, they were in high spirits. I give them a small bottle of sloe gin, and in exchange for my credit car pin they give me a large turkey crown, some sausage meat and a joint of salt beef.

The roads across the marsh were partly flooded, which always seems to be the case this time of year, but were passable. As we dove we had the radio on, pumping of Christmas songs and festive joy.

Back home I put the salt beef in our largest pan, top up with water, salt, pepper, spices and bay leaves, bring to the boil and then simmer for three hours.

I make breakfast, bacon butties, which you won't be surprised to hear were wonderful. I watch Spurs v Everton on the i player.

The morning passed with me messing around online, before making sausage rolls at midday. I found there was a pound of Branston pickle flavoured sausage meet, that sounded splendid, so that's the stuff I used.

And it was great, we had two sausage rolls each, then I take the salt beef out, let it cool a little before making a couple of sandwiches with the cornbread we had left over. Nothing like still warm salt beef, so moist and tender. We were not hungry, but we ate both rounds up.

We listen to more music in the afternoon, watch a couple of documentaries before going to see Jen to clear up last minute details for Christmas Day.

And that is it, really.

We came back as darkness fell, listened to more music. I made a batch of mince pies for supper, which we had with lashings of custard. And they were fabulous.

Next day were having a party, so we listen to their joy until we went to bed at ten, so Santa would call.

No comments: