Thursday 6 December 2018

Wednesday 5th December 2018

My mobile phone's battery was nearly flat, so I put the fitness watch thing beside my bed so I could check up on the time during the night. I mention this as it is stuck on UK time, one hour behind Danish time, so when I looked at it and saw it was ten past six, it was ten past seven, and so the extra half hour of snoozing meant it was after half seven when I got up. I had a long shower, and went down for breakfast at what I though was quarter past seven, and couldn't understand why my colleagues were nowhere to be seen.

Looking at my other watch, twenty five past eight, I then saw the reality of the situation.

Of course, being a manager, I don't have strict start and end times for the working day, but being so late might mean not getting a parking space.

So I wolf down some fruit and some pancakes, bacon and syrup, rushed to the car and hoped I could get out onto the main road so to set off for the office. I need not have worried, though I did knock a guy off his bike, twice. Now, please let me explain. Up from the art museum, there is some roadworks, and so was narrow, and there wasn't room for a car and cycle side by side, but that did not stop a bloke try to get past and hit the Beamer;s front wheel. I fell off, onto his feet. Traffic moved, so I moved, thus knocking him off again, I mean, if he thought there was room to get past, why shouldn't I? He was quite angry, so I went round hom after engaging all horses.

I made it to the office without further incident, find a parking space and go in to find a free desk, as I am not deemed important enough to have one of my own. This is not quite true, but having to find a place to work is a pain, and I hate it, now that the project has entered its exciting phases, shouldn't I have a place to work?

Anyway, eyes down, open Outlook and look at the mails come tumblin out.

I also get to meet my new boss, I seek out his desk and we have a good chat. All seems good too, on the same page as it were.

I skip lunch as I have so much work to do, typing up notes and replying to mails. So much that by three I had used up that day's enthusiasm. Tim and I have a coffee or two and a right good moaning session.

From half two, Danes begin to go home, to collect their kids and do family things, though most do sign in from home in the evening so work gets done. But by four there are the usual faces left in the office, with my just staring at a spreadsheet I should be updating. I see just a jumble of numbers and letters.

I go back to the hotel at five, find a place to park there too, go to my room to raid the mini bar of crisps and a can of Coke.

I am to meet my friend, Selma, from supplier quality, who has made my working days so much easier, we are to have dinner at the Smokehouse down the hill, so at half six I arrive to find she is there, ready to tackle the "eat as many wings as you can" night.

Two hundred and thirty seven I like a challenge.

We order a drink and the first basket of wings, and wait, and talk and laugh.

The wings, when they come are plentiful, and spicy. We make ten each disappear, and order just five more. That would be enough, and as I had had no carbs, wasn't feeling too full. But 15 wings was more than enough, as turns out I was right.

I say goodbye to Selma, and we go our separate ways, me back to the hotel just in time to see the Man Utd Arse game on TV. Not that it was any good, but was diverting, bust as soon as it ended at eleven, it was time for bed, as I needed to be up in six hours to go home. Outside a church bells rung out.

No comments: