Saturday 15 May 2021

Friday 14th May 2021

Last day of work for the month.

Jools had been away for 24 hours, and the house still standing, and I had all four cats.

In fact, I have found a way to deal with Scully. I put her in the bathroom with a tray and with food until Poppy comes in, and she has eaten and gone to bed, then Scully is released from the cooler. Third morning, and it works.

One hundred and thirty four And there is no shouting, no stomping of feet and no scared kitty cats.

Thursday was a bank holiday in Denmark, and most of my Danish colleagues took Friday off as well, meaning there was just one meeting to attend, and no phone calls or e mails to deal with. All plans for the first two weeks back in June were sorted, all I had to do was monitor my inbox.

A compact orched taken by a compact camera! I made coffee after feeding the cats.

Had another coffee.

Then had the only meeting of the day, with the contrustion management in China. Sounds impressive, and I guess it is. More impressive is that they can speak and write in English, and understand me as I drone on for an hour.

Early Spider Orchid Ophrys sphegodes That done, all I need is for the dull and grey weather to clear so I could go out snapping in the afternoon.

Half two came round, and I set the out of office message, and switched all windows done on the laptop.

18 days off start here.

I look outside, there was a chance that the weather would clear after four, so I went for it.

Up onto the downs to look for the Burnt Tip and check on the downland ESOs.

Traffic was heavy, but just after schools closed, but I got through, down Whitfield Hill, past Uncle John's gaff, parking behind the old George and Dragon pub. It was all uphill from here.

Early Spider Orchid Ophrys sphegodes I have no idea why chalk hills are called downs, but they are. Rain runoff creates paths and gulleys, so it can be a scramble up. And a hard climb, coming after a month's enforced lay off due to gout, but one foot in front of the other, and I climbed the mountain, with the view over Temple Ewell and down the valley to Dover opening out.

Early Spider Orchid Ophrys sphegodes Yes, I took regular breaks, but I climbed through the wood, across the edge of the meadow, up through the hedge and onto the open downland. Across the first pasture, across the second, then along the cattle track, round the bend, and up on last slight climb, that always catched me out.

Early Spider Orchid Ophrys sphegodes Then there is the gate leading to Lydden Down reserve, downhill: yes. But uphill on the way back.

Once I came to the stile, I saw orchids. All ESO's clinging on in the short turf. THe more I looked, the more I saw.

Early Spider Orchid Ophrys sphegodes I take many shots, of the most handsome spikes.

Then walk on, down the hill and to the spot where I hoped to see the red spotted white petals of the Burnt Tip. As ever the pink Milkwort confused, but I looked and looked, and found no sign. But the season is late, and I will check again next week.

Early Spider Orchid Ophrys sphegodes I'll have time.

I walk back up the down, and I see more and more orchids on both sides of the stile, and down the slope too.

Early Spider Orchid Ophrys sphegodes I take more shots. The flat light didn't help, but the new lens and ring flash did.

I made it to the top of the down, then from there it was downhill all the way. The light was fading further, I know at home there would be cats waiting for their tea, so I stomped back down the down, loaded the camera in the back and drove home, through light traffic, where Mulder and Scully were indeed waiting.

Early Spider Orchid Ophrys sphegodes Meow?

I make a brew after feeding all four cats and have the remaining slice of elderflower triple layer cake i bought in Folkestone. It meant I wasn't really hungry, but made breaded chicken salad with freshly boiled Jersey Royal potatoes. It was rather good, even if I was stuffed.

Early Spider Orchid Ophrys sphegodes There is football on at eight: Citeh v Newcastle. A seven goal thriller with nothing at stake, as Citeh were crowned champions the previous weekend, and Newcastle were safe from relegation. So, a taster of over half a potantial super league, with a good game with nothing at stake, I felt rather detatched about it, and little on Twitter either.

I go to bed to read some more WSC until sleep takes me.

No comments: