Sunday 2 May 2021

Saturday 1st May 2021

Welcome to what should be spring, but parts of the country were having snow still.

But then it is Bank Holiday.

Oh yes, three day weekend, and we had better get out on Saturday and Sunday, as Monday it will rain and the wind will blow.

Not much planned, just a 45 minute blast up the A2 and M2 to see some bluebells. Again.

And I had arranged to meet some folk at Stockbury for some bluebell appreciation.

We had to be out of the house by eight, so up early to have coffee and croissants before we leave. I check the cameras, just in case I take them all, and all my lenses. Then load the car and wtih a turn of the key, I selct a forward gear and we lurch off.

Traffic was light for a ban holiday and a Saturday morning even with some of the lockdowns restrictions remaining. So, we make good time, driving to Shepherdwell before picking up the dual carriageway and putting the hammer down, I belive is the hop term.

THere were more clouds than expected, and i stress about driving the best part of 40 miles just to see some bluebells, and then the light being poor, but there seemed to be enough sunlight around to illuminate my shots.

We reach Stockbury with 15 minutes to spare, and soon, group member and friend, Ian and his wife, arrived. We touch elbows, and set off up the lane to the reserve.

And it was majestic. I mean I could post 50 shots, all a variation on the same theme, or just pick the on representative shot of the hour and a half we spent there. So, please enjoy this:

One hundred and twenty one Further along with find a pure white EPO and two very pale spikes nearby. I go to snap them, only for me to lose my footing on the way down the bank, and down I go. Though I manage to twist as I fell so my cameras were safe.

Almost Priorities, people.

I get up, but I know I needed new shoes. I wsn't hurt, just had mud-caked trousers, which is normal for this time of the year.

Alba WE walk down to the lower meadow, no butterflies about, but we do find about nine Lesser Butterfly Orchids, which all were looking great. Further along, the Lady Orchids were little further advancd than the week before, though a single spike had a single flower open. I didn't snap it, but Ian did.

We walk back to the car, Jols was waiting, reading. Ian and I arrange to meet at Samphire Hoe on Sunday, and we leave.

A walk round Canterbury Jools and I drive back towards Dover, though we go into Canterbury, as she wanted to do some shopping, and I would try to buy some new walking shoes, with better grip than the racing slicks I currently had.

Privy, Lower Bridge Street, Canterbury, Kent We park near the Abbey, walk over the ring road into the city centre, Jools walked to M&S, I wandered towards the Christchuch Gate, though that was covered in scaffolding. What was noticeable was that there was hardly anyone about, normall the Buttercross area is jammed with people, doubly so on a Saturday, but it was empty.

A walk round Canterbury I go into Blacks and find their shoe section. I cared nothing for colour or styles, just the right size and with good grip. I was brought two pairs, and I buy the first one I try on.

A walk round Canterbury Job done.

I walk back towards the car, my feet killing me, partly due to gout, but mostly thanks to the shoes. At least I had new ones to fix that.

WJB 495 H I sit in the car and wait for Jools, listening to the radio.

A perfect state of affairs, to be honest.

She returned, I start the engine and we drove home, stopping off at Lydden to check on the Man Orchids, some way to go, but closer than I thought.

Once home, I put two pizzas in the ovens, loading the top with extra meat because we had stuff to use up.

And then it was football.

The main event was watching Norwich's last home game against Reading; if we won, we would be champions. Also, if Watford didn't win, we would be champions.

But Reading hadn't read the script, and played their socks off in the first half, and took the lead. Norwich level thanks to a defensive mistake.

Half time, they must have caught a rocket from Farke, as they roared out in the 2nd half, scoring three without reply.

Watford also lost 2-0.

Champions whichever way you look at it.

The video feed carried on for nearly an hour as the players and staff and Queen Delia celebrated. 96 points with one game to go.

I even had a glass of red wine spritzer to was down the cheese and crackers we had for supper.

More football in the evening, can't remember who. Oh year, Cheslea v Fulham. Chelski win 2-0, though Fulham play well enough. Still going down, though.

No comments: