Sunday 20 March 2022

Saturday 19th March 2022

It am the weekend, and there are woods and downs to explore. The weather was set fair, and once we had hunted and gathered, we could go a wandering.

I was up forst for a change, and the cats so unused to this, failed to meow at me to be fed, or investigate what I had put in their bowls. Instead opted to wait for Jools to come downstairs and let her show them their full bowls.

Cats!

We had coffee and went to Tesco where we filled the car with fuel and the boot with shopping. Costs for both are going up and up. We can cope, many cannot. And the shelves here are well stocked, for now.

Back home for breakfast of fruit followed by bacon butties, before we could get out for the main event: orchiding.

I guess our favourite reserve is Yocklett's, where there are many species of orchids, butterflies and other plants, but Fly Orchids is its speciality.

We drove to Hythe, turned up Stne Street before turning down a narrow lane, not almost buried under rubble and chalk from the deep banks on either side, to the small paking place. I reversed in and changed into my new pair of walking shoes, which I have to "wear in" before going away in two weeks. Camera around my neck, we set off along the familiar paths to the lower meadow, but not so familiar as the woods had been cleared on one side, opening up the skies for native wild flowers and plants.

Seventy eight At the lower meadow we pause to sit on the bench and take in the views.

Taking in the view Now it is spring. In this reserve, on this bench and that wonderful view.

The crazy worldwas a million miles away, we hear only the sounds of nature. We breathe in deeply.

Down through the woods and over the road, up the other side where I check for town hall clock plants. I see none this time, but do find one upon our return from the walking circuit.

Up the bank to the top meadow. More clearance, and so ess orchid rosettes. I see now Greater Butterfly and only a couple of Lady, and the Herb Paris has yet to emerge and unfurl.

Att eh top meadow we pause again. The occasional Brimstone flies through without pausing. Before leaving home I learned that a friend had found a single EPO spike in flower in north Kent, I was hopeful that we might find one, but I had low confidence we would. And we didn't find any orchid in flower, though a couple of Fly looked close.

But remember it is still only mid-March.

We walk down the hill, and at the bottom, a Brimstone is basking, maybe freshly emerged.

Gonepteryx rhamni I get my shots at last, and am happy.

And on the way back, just before the path crossed the road, I checked again for the tiny Town Hall Clock plant, and finally I found a single flower partially in bloom.

Adoxa moschatellina Great news.

Back through the main part of the resrve, up the the lower meadow, then down to the car, seeing many other Brimstones, Peacocks and Small Tortoiseshells. But I get no more decent shots.

Once in the car, I pass Jools a Twix, one for myself, and as I drive along to the bottom of the Gogway, turning up and through the reserve back to Stone Street, to the turning to Bridge and back to Dover, though due to a traffic jam, we had to take the back road through Pineham to Guston, then to the Deal road to home.

I make lunch of chorizo hash, which went down very well. And to continue my good mood, Norwich did not lose this week, as we had no game, so I could enjoy the radio burbling away with the latest updates.

I make a batch of saffron buns, as I bought 4oz of the rare spice last year, and never used it, so what better than buns?

Nothing is better than saffron buns.

They were ready at seven, by which time I was watching the evening cup tie. But a bun the size of a small dog and a huge cuppa was a fine way to round the evening off, or once Jools had thrashed me at Crib.

Phew.

No comments: