Sunday 24 March 2019

Saturday 23rd March 2019

Saturday

Jools had done shopping, so that chore was spared us, but I did have to pick up a hire car, ready for the big getaway on Sunday evening. So, after coffee, she dropped me off at the Eastern Docks, and I was given to keys to the Crosslander I had two weeks back.

I went back home to wait for Jools, parking the car in the only space on the street, as we now had two cars.

Once Jools was back, she told me I could go churchcrawling on me todd, as she had seeds to sow. So I packed the car, checked everything, and made my way onto the A2 as I had an appointment with a church.

Molash has been a tricky place to get into. I have tried three times at least on hertiage weekends, then a month ago, and despite making an appointment two weeks back, the doors still remained locked. But, I was assured this time it would be different.

I drove down the lane, hoping to see a car outside the church signalling someone was there. There was no car.

At ten I got out of the car and tried the door, as usual, the door moved but was locked.

I stood and waited in the road, watching birds in the yews, hoping they might be hawfinches. They were not.

I heard an engine, and thought it were a tractor or a truck, but a 4x4 came down the driveway of the mansion opposite, a woman got out and called.

Hey you, do you want something?

Me?

Yes, you were at the gates.

I am waiting for the church to be opened and was watching birds. I point to the tree where there were no birds.

OK then.

I walk back to the church, try the door once more. Once more for luck and it swung open.

I go back to the car to get my cameras, and then set about my task. And after the long wait, it was a little bit of an anti-climax, but the remaons of some interesting wall paintings, but too faded to make much out.

I leave a notation and a Moo card, and make good my escape.

Next up was a ten minute drive to Charing.

That's just Charing, not Charing Cross.

I was last here nine years ago, maybe more, and i took just five shots inside. This time it would be different.

I park on the street and walk past the village shop, the butchers before turning into Church Lane, past the impressive remains of the Archbishop's Palace, and onto the church beyond.

It was unlocked, always good, and the church was so impressive. Trying to work out how I took just four shots last time. I take over a hindred this time.

On the way back to the car I call in the butchers for a Cornish pasty, then drive back to Dover scattering flaky pastry all over the inside of the car.

Nice.

I go to visit my friend, Shane. He just turned 50, and had a appendicitis followed by a heart attack. I think he was hoping for slippers.

He has been out of hospital a week, and is getting better. But I go round as it seems wishing someone well on Faceache isn't enough. He is happy to see me, and we talk medical things and photography for half an hour. Which is nice. And he gave me a hug when I left.

I went home and Jools had planted a dozen seed trays with beautiful things. Or will be when they grow.

Eighty two We celebrate with a brew and watch Gardner's World.

And that is it really, a cool cloudy gave ended with some clear skies as the past full moon rose, but after burning some cardboard, we go back inside to play uckers, and I wind handsomely.

Obviously. And that was your, or my, Saturday

No comments: