Friday 15 March 2019

Thursday 14th March 2019

I am lucky in doing this job for a living. At times it can grate and annoy in equal measures. But at the end of each project, we have helped make the earth a little greener.

And I get to visit some great places ad sometimes get my friends to tag along too.

I have to be out of Fowley by Friday lunchtime, to i have pulled strings, and one of my trusted minions, Jesper Bak, is due to arrive later on Thursday. I made sure he booked in the same place as me, so we can sample the myriad of delights of the Montagu Arms.

But before then, I had to get through the day, and unlike previous day, other things are calling on me to spend my time on, meaning less time staring into space, and more times on Skype attending meetings and fixing problems.

I get up as dawn creeps through the gap in the curtains, have a shower and prepare for the day.

Downstairs for breakfast, and I treat myself in ordering a poached egg from the cooked menu, the first time I have treated myself.

Outside it is bright enough, but already the wind us building, so more of the same.

I drive to the site, calling in at the village shop in Fowley for some dinner; a Cornish pasty and a bottle of pop, then drive to the site gate, check in and walk through the blade park to the offices to begin the day.

Tanks for the memory I have meetings, and go out for inspections, marvelling at the brutalist architecture of the old power station control building.

Jesper arrived at two, so I walk to the gate to collect him, and we walk back through the blades again, looking at the quality.

Red Jet So, we all have alignment meetings, agree on the plan going forward and altogether the mood is jovial.

At half four we drive back to the hotel, park at the back and walk through the garden so Jesper can check in.

We meet for a quick walk round the town before darkness falls, up the village high street, along to the luxury car lot and back past the hotel, over the mill race to look at the stillness of the meer. The smell of woodsmoke filled the air, and as we stood there, two sorrowful donkeys walked up the middle of the main road, as traffic built up behind them.

Seventy three Back in the hotel we have a coffee, served by a man in a suit, carrying the coffee on a silver platter, pouring it for us as we sat in the sun room, while behind a younger couple make the second bottle of wine disappear.

What I like is that the hotel treats all guests the same. We had received some harsh looks over breakfast from a elderly couple as we were dressed in work gear. But the staff treated us like royalty, and was wonderful. Especially for Jesper who had not seen the like before.

Traffic jam, New Forest stylee Later we go to the restaurant, and I have steak as it was my last night, we also share a bottle of wine.

And that is that. My time here is nearly over. Just one more night in the bedroom with its leaded lights and turndown service.

Good night.

No comments: