Wednesday 22 May 2019

Tuesday 21st May 2019

Being the moderator in two orchid groups on social media means, that from time to time, you get asked to show where a particular species is.

As was the case on Tuesday when a member of the FB group asked about the Late Spider and Birds Nest Orchids.

A time was arranged and a place. So it was all set.

I just have to drop Jools off and while my time away until it was nine and time indeed for the meeting. I went to the National Trust place after dropping Jools off. It was to look for Early Spider orchids, but also for the views to the harbour.

The start of another glorious day The day was going to be glorious, and as the case when I'm out, early so that there was nobody else around.

I found no orchid spikes, but the world went out its business, either loading or leaving one of the three ferries at the docks. It looked too much like hard work. Over to the right, The sea in front of the promenade was so still, it reflected the town like a mirror.

The start of another glorious day I went home for breakfast, then got my stuff together ready to go back out.

Again.

The start of another glorious day Pauline was waiting for me at the dogwalkers car park. Their owners drive, not the dogs. Just to be clear.

The start of another glorious day A short drive along was another parking space, and from there, a short walk to the fenced off area where the Kent orchid speciality, the Late Spider lives.

The single spike outside the fence now has two flowers, so is looking fab. I did my usual trick, ask her if she can see it yet, and she looked round up and down wondering where it was. Turns out she is nervous with strangers. When I admitted Bishop Brian Jones wasn't my real name really cool the air. She found the orchid as was thrilled.

Late Spider Orchid Ophrys fuciflora Which was nice.

From there we drive north to find the Birds Nest. After parking in the village, we walk to the wood, which has dozens of White Helleborines scattered on the woodland floor. Over the far side of the wood, I find the single orchid spike, so do my, can you see it yet? And she does see it, and is even more thrilled.

But she is suffering from a bad back, so can't do much more, but for me the day was yet young, so I say goodbye and take myself over the fields, along narrow byways to Thanet and to Pegwell Bay where I sensed there might just be a Bee showing.

The old hoverport crumbles a little more each year, but on the sites of the demolished buildings, and forcing through the old tarmac, plants are reclaiming the land as theirs.

Down the steps and into a semi-wild landscape as plants and trees have reclaimed the land as theirs.

The ground has more moisture than last year, but it might be too late to save the Bees, as I find no rosettes at all, sadly.

But nearby the colony of yellow Man are in fine form, with some spikes nearly a metre tall.

The Yellow and long Man (orchid) of Kent Lovely.

Also, no Southern Marsh showing either, but they will come in a week or three.

On the way out I look hard for broomrapes, an orchid-like parasitic plant, and after half an hour, I find two spikes with possibly more showing.

Yay.

Finally, I drive over to Monkton to the nature reserve, as I have been sending folks over there to look for Man Orchids, I was last there some six years ago, and I have better check they still had them.

I got a warm welcome, I think they hope I might volunteer, maybe I will when I retire.

After getting away from the friendly fol, I go on a tour of the site, set in a former chalk pit, and there was many good plants to see, dragonflies fluttering over the pond, and further round, I finally find the steps to the top of the cliffs, where I was told there might be orchids.

Might be.

Orchids.

The grassed area felt like it should be full of orchids, but there is none. Into the woodland area and I tell myself there will be no Man orchids here.

I congratulate myself when I see a single Butterfly Orchid. No Man orchid though, is it?

In front of me there was a huge Twayblade spike, very impressive. Not as impressive as the Man Orchid beside it.

What?

Oh yes, Man Orchid.

Then I realise what I thought were Twayblades were mostly Man Orchids, most yellow, or yellow with green hoods.

How lovely.

I walk back down to the visitor centre and then to the car. Three o'clock, I was hot and bothered. Lets go home, I say to no one.

I am home for an hour, time to write, look at the pictures, then it is time to collect Jools from work.

I time it well enough so I have less than ten minutes to wait, but Jools has stuff to sort out, so is twenty minutes late coming out.

Oh well.

Back home I cook Jamaican Jerk chicken, which in truth I had got ready spiced from the butcher. But with chili stir fry and curried rice is bang full of flavour.

No football on TV or radio again, so we listen to music and chill out. Another good day.

No comments: