Saturday 31 August 2019

Friday 30th August 2019

Back home, and back to work.

I did not get to bed until just before midnight, and so waking up at quarter to six was a couple of hours to early. But still, work beckons.

Jools went to work, and I had a meeting to get ready for at eight, the first department meeting for my new job, though most colleagues are old friends. But, the meeting gave notice that this is not going to be an easy ride, there is a very serious job we have to do, and so I will have to live up to their expectations.

Anyway, I finish work at lunchtime, as I have to take the car back and then get a bus back from the port.

I say from the port, I had to walk back from the port into town, then along to the bus station, and get on the right bus.

I forgot to take a camera, so you have only my word on how the walk was. Easy enough, but at the end of a week away, I just wanted to get home and relax for the weekend.

I arrive home ten minutes before Jools, and so we celebrate the weekend by having an ice cream sitting on the patio.

And relax.

But I have to get busy in the kitchen: we were hosting Jools' brother, Mike, and his partner, Jane: so I was making crown of lamb with jewelled fruit. Again.

Two hundred and forty two Jools got the lamb on the way home from work, so I made the jewelled stuffing, adding herbs and spices, stuffing the crown and placing it in the oven ready to be roasted nearer dinnertime.

I started cooking at five, peeled potatoes and prepared the vegetables, so soon the kitchen was smelling delicious. I mean, really, really good.

Mike and Jane arrived, we open wine. Jane had brought her own made sloe port, which we were going to try later.

We sat down to eat at half six, and what a fine meal it was too. Again, I was so intent on getting the meals ready, I forgot to snap it. But was wonderful.

Afterwards we chat about life, Meg, Meg's mother and what we feel abut what happened.

Jane and I ht the sloe gin and sloe port.

She asked to hear some music, so I put some on, and soon we were singing away to Prince and Madonna.

They left at ten. One more tune turned into a half dozen. But very good.

Anyway, time for bed. Another good day.

No comments: