Friday 30 August 2019

Wednesday 28th August 2019

And now for the reason I was north of the border: work.

Amazingly, for the east coast of Scotland, Aberdeen was roasting and humid, so I slept fitfully, and was happy to find that when I got up, it was getting light, so I had had at least six hours sleep.

As I woke up, I watched the ferry from the Shetlands and Orkney reverse down the harbour to its linkspan. I could catch that instead of working......

Two hundred and forty All I had to do was get myself ready for work and meet Henrik down in the restaurant at seven for breakfast, before the brief walk to the office.

Breakfast was a fine spread, but being Scotland the cooked breakfast included fried haggis and black pudding. I pass on those but do have a sausage sandwich along with fruit.

And coffee.

Once we had eaten, we walked down the cobbled street, then across the busy main road which runs beside the harbour, up the next quay to a lock up; this was the office.

We rang the bell, and in time we were let in.

I am now an auditor, and audits terrify the life out of people. I saw the site assistant visibly shaking, so I set about putting her mind at rest. And the day settles down with is probing, and listening.

At one, lunch of MS sandwiches is served.

Followed by more light auditing.

Until four when we are done.

We tank them for their time, and leave them to do their normal work, which we have interrupted, and walk back to the hotel.

At six, we walk to the steak restaurant that had been recommended, just up the cobbled street and over Castle Street. They can squeeze us in, so we are given a table by the window, and a menu and wine list.

Steak, in a proper posh place, is a joy, and so I ordered a 50 day aged sirloin, which was very nice indeed.

We were out by half seven, and find the micropub that had also been praised. I was hoping for a fine whisky selection, but was disappointed by just some usual standard bottles.

The Illicit Still, Aberdeen I take a large dram of something Islay, and we sit in a corner to talk.

One is enough for me, so by eight we were walking back to the hotel for some relaxing before bedtime.

Phew.

No comments: