Saturday 10 April 2021

A probable news break

The UK has, apparently, entered eight day of national mourning, which means many things are susepnded.

The end of mourning is at 08:00 the day after the fineral, which is expected to be next Saturday.

A kind of normal programming has returned, but only playing softer music on 6 Music, and there is little talking between songs. The hourly news bulletin has no jingle, because, what? I have no idea.

We used to mock Soviet Russia for the 24 hours of sombre music befoe the announcement of some Politburo member's death, and yet it seems we are to have it for eight days.

You may have your own opinon, I have mine. I served my country to protect free speech, and as this is my blog, I will say what I like, as long as I don't break any laws.

Forced mourning, is not something a 21st century democracy does, it is something you would expect from North Korea.

Is this what he would have wanted? I doubt it.

So, in the meantime there will be no interviews or speeches from any Minister or shadow minister, and that is expected of both party's MPs. NI burns, COVID is still here, and Brexit is still a shit show.

But lets not talk about it.

This is a Government using anything to avoid scrutiny.

I am not celebrating his death, not am I mourning. All I see is a man, who lived long, said some borderline racist things somethimes, but then he was of a different generation. What I am getting angry about is 1,000 doctors, nurses and care workers who died get eight rounds of applause and a minute;s silence, and a 1% pay rise, maybe.

Phil gets eight and a half days mourning, the media and politics shut down.

No comments: