Thursday 15 April 2021

Gout and about

See what I did there?

So, I have been doing some reading about Gout, and I now understand this is the start of a long journey. Recovery after a flare like this, and on the right medicine, can take six months before some kind of return to normal can happen.

But flares can happen at any time.

It is Thursday, so this is day 16 of the attack, and I am fine, there is some swelling, and some ittitation, like pepper under my skin, and sleep wasn't too comformatable last night when pressure was applied, but it is better than it was.

Gout is heriditary, and I know Mum had at least one attack in her later life. This from www.creakyjoints.org:

"Gout is a type of arthritis where high blood levels of uric acid, a metabolism byproduct, start to crystallize in the joints, causing pain and swelling that is often sudden and severe. Gout typically develops in stages; in the first stage, uric acid levels are rising but not causing symptoms (called hyperuricemia); in the second stage, a person has started to experience painful gout attacks, called flares. As gout progresses, it becomes chronic, affecting more joints, with time between flares shortening."

I get pain sometimes in my joints, like cramp, really but in my knee or ankle. I don't think its gout, but it could be.

And while a rich lifestyle can lead to gout, its in your genes, and you can't escape. And once you have had an attack, you cannot diet your way out of it, and its not just wine, beer and sweetmeats that cause it. There is oily fish, asparagus, red meat, all and more to be avoded, if possible.

So, I know that I must try my best to greatly limit my booze intake for six months, or October for those who are counting. Maybe a glass of wine here, or a beer there. But it is important to stay off the bottle in the first few weeks and a relapse is possible.

Bugger.

So, there it is. Now I have had a serious flare, I now know I have to make the choice, booze of sleep/getting out, that kind of thing. I photograph therefore I am. A photographer. So, that's sorted, the beer I have in the house will not go off, and will still be there in October, of when the flare has died down.

What was it like, at its worse?

Well, it is like you have broken your toe, the pain is that bad. You cannot bear any kind of pressure on your foot, not a sock, shoe or even a sheet or blanket. I laid there in the dark, feeling the pain throb with my heartbeat. No position in bed was pain-free, and most times, turning over would wake me up. Catching or stubbing your toe would cause a surge in pain.

Then there is the false hope of a slight improvement, and the crushing disappointment the next morning when the pain is back.

No comments: