Saturday 12 January 2019

Preparing for Brexit

Just how seriously are we treating the possibility of a no deal Brexit in Chez Jelltex?

Well, we bought a load of tinned and dried food during our weekly shop. We probably have at least food for three weeks now, after which, even under the worse conditions, things should be getting back to normal.

I have told my manager not to expect me to travel for a while after March 29th, until we know what is going to happen.

In any event, things should be clearer after Tuesday, once the meaningful vote on the WA has taken place and May has or has not fallen on her sword.

I heard the owner of the Indian I had dinner in on Thursday, and he was telling his friend that it was all being over-egged by the press and things would not be as bad as anything that has been suggested.

Let me say, I hope he's right.

But even now, if you were to ask me what was going to happen, I would have to say I don't know. Anything is possible.

Saying that, the default position under UK and international law that the UK will leave the UK on 29th March. For that not to happen, two separate sets of legislation would have to be passed by Westminster, and for that, the Government would have to allocate time for said debates and votes.

Of course, it come down to a constitutional battle as to which is supreme, but time is fast running out.

The Government has one plan

The House of Commons only agrees what it doesn't like, it can't agree what alternative it likes insomuch that such a motion could be passed.

The Labour Party has no real plan, and is no viable opposition under Corbyn.

That is all.

No comments: