Thursday 25 August 2022

17 years

17 years ago I celebrated my 40th birthday in Las Vegas with friends from Arkansas.

We drank, we gambled, ate well, smoked cigars and took in a show.

This was in my last month as a member of HM Forces. I had accumilated various bouts of leave, so in the end had three months off, of which I spent nine weeks in the US.

I met with my friend in New Hampshire.

We drove up a mountain.

Watched whales.

Drove to Niagara Fall.

Went to the Adirondacks.

Went to the Ben and Jerry Factory in Vermont.

Then I flew to Seattle and after a four day stay, I drove a Mustang convertable down route 101 via the Olympic Peninsular, Mt Rainier, Portland Or, Astoria, Crater Lake, the Oregon coast, Mt St Helens, San Francisco, Big Sur, Nappa Valley ending up in Los Angeles four weeks later.

Then I flew to Arkansas.

From where we left for a three day party in Vegas to celebrate my birthday.

So, I have been out of the Mob 17 years, I served 15 years. 32 years since I left the chicken factory.

A lifetime.

At quarter to eight this evening, I reach 57 years, the same age as my Dad and his Father died of heart attacks.

I tell myself I take after Mum's side of the family.

Tonight we go out for a curry.

No comments: