Tuesday 30 August 2022

Monday 29th August 2022

The weather early yesterday did not seem good enough for a walk. Some more light rain, heavy clouds and a keen breeze.

The cloud was the most worrisome as Gentians only open their tiny flowers when sunny.

But, mid-morning with some chores done, the sun comes out and Jools dropped me off at the Monument, where to my surprise, I found nearly 100 Autumn Lady's Tresses in flower, and looking fabulous too.

Two hundred and forty one I take some shots, then walk down the track beside the fence, in the hope of seeing some flowers in bloom. What I did get was within 10m of a Wheatear, and even with the macro, a half decent photo.

Looking for Gentians It was busy, with lots of people out, even still no one else was using this path,

So I came to the gate leading from St Maggies into Kingsdown.

Looking for Gentians This is where the Gentians should be.

I began to look.

And look.

And look again.

And just as I had given up, one final glance showed something light lilac next to the path: the smallest spike of Autumn Gentian, just two inches high with a single flower open.

Looking for Gentians But it counts!

All I had to do then was to walk back home.

I tightened my shoelaces and began to climb to the gate, then turning inland beside the golf course where people were hitting tiny balls with sticks whilst wearing fancy dress.

Looking for Gentians Fancy.

The turn along the long narrow path that runs parallel with the clifs until it meets the path between our hosue and the Monument. Overhead, dark clouds were gathering and there was a hint of rain in the air.

Looking for Gentians And by the time I reached the top of the Dip, it was raining. I texted Jools to let her know I was about 20 minutes away at the Dip: did I want picking up?

It seemed over the top, but my legs said that might be a good idea, so I said to meet me at Fleet House, and began the climb down to the dried mud bath at the bottom and up the other side, by which time rain was falling a little heavier.

Looking for Gentians There was Jools, waiting with the car. So I climed in and off we went, along Collingdale and down to our street.

Before leaving I had made the batter for fritters, so that just needed cooking. Meanwhile, outside, the clouds had cleared and the sun shone brightly again.

Gentianella amarella We have lunch whilst listening to the radio, and drinking wine.

Looking for Gentians A combination of 10,000 steps and two glasses of red meant the afternoon was a battle to stay awake.

Looking for Gentians I lay on the sofa to listen to a podcast, and my eyes closed.

Looking for Gentians Not much else to report for the day.

We had pizza for supper with a beer for me. Then a game of cribbage in which I won.

Looking for Gentians Finally, I put the badger food out, topped up the birdseed and set the moth trap.

Darkness now has arrives by quarter to eight.

No comments: