Sunday 21 August 2022

Saturday 20th August 2022

Posting shots of churches we have visited has shown me that my photography has improved now I don't use the ultrawide angle lenses, so many churches need a revisit.

And with the orchid season now at an end, nearly, it is time to turn to churchcrawling.

And the easiest non-Kent church to revisit was Winchelsea, just over the border in East Sussex, also gave us the chance to call in at the fishmongers in Rye for some smoked haddock.

Two hundred and thirty two After the early morning coffee and then the rush round Tesco, back home to pack it all away and for me to make bacon butties and another brew.

And then: go west.

Traffic is not so mad now, so it was easy to drive to Folkestone then up the motorway to Ashford, before turning off, past the inland border facility, then out onto the Marsh past Hamstreet.

St Thomas the Martyr, Winchelsea, East Sussex West of Brookland, the road meanders about, bend after bend, crossing and recrossing the railway until we reach Rye.

We stop to buy the fish, then round the river, over the bridge and out the other side, five miles to Winchelsea, turning off to go up the hill under the old town gate, parking near the village shop.

St Thomas the Martyr, Winchelsea, East Sussex Whereas Rye was already busy, Winchelsea was quiet, and just past ten meaning the church had just opened.

We walk across the large churchyard through the ruins of the tower and into the church, where the triple wide nave was lines on the north and south walls with fine wall tombs.

St Thomas the Martyr, Winchelsea, East Sussex I photograph each on in turn, and the corbel heads on each too.

I rephotograph the fine windows too, as despite being modern, they really are on another level.

St Thomas the Martyr, Winchelsea, East Sussex One or two people come in, a family of three last 30 seconds before the mother and teenage son leave.

After completing the shots, I go out to meet up with Jools so we can walk to the shop to have ice cream, and sit to eat them on a bench looking at the north wall of the church.

St Thomas the Martyr, Winchelsea, East Sussex That was the task for the day carried out. We would make our way home, via the Marsh and through Old and then New Romney. I wanted to go back to New Romney to photograph the church as there was a party for the WI going on when I was there last with Simon K.

St Thomas the Martyr, Winchelsea, East Sussex As it happened, it wasn't quite as I imagined, as there was a craft and record fair on.

St Thomas the Martyr, Winchelsea, East Sussex I know, what are the chances.

But I got to snap more of the details and buy some beetroot chutney, for Jools, and gooseberry jam for me.

St Thomas the Martyr, Winchelsea, East Sussex Now we would head home.

Traffic crawled along the coast road, and we passed people eating ice creams or sitting outside pubs. But we carried on, through Hythe and past the railway station, up the hill to Westenhanger and onto the motorway to Dover. Cruising at 70, and with the sun shining, it was a fine drive. Coming down into Dover, three ferries were either leaving or reversing onto their berths.

St Thomas the Martyr, Winchelsea, East Sussex It makes a fine sight, but we would be though the town, along Townwall Street and up Jubilee Way to home.

Once inside, I toast come crumptets and make brews.

Job done.

So, you know what happens now. I try to stay awake though the afternoon listening to the football. And no stress as Norwich had already won the evening before. Jools went swimming, leaving me home alone, where I could put the finishing touches to the lamb tagine I had been making for 24 hours. The meat having been spiced the morning before, and should now we reet tasty.

St Thomas the Martyr, Winchelsea, East Sussex I mix the sauce and brown the onions, then the lamb, and cook for four hours on a low heat.

It smet glorious before it went into the oven. And an hur before being down, I make cook some rice and put that in the pot too.

We even have fizz with it, and I have to say, another triumph, and enough left over to do two lunches.

Arsenal roll over Bornemouth 3-0 for the evening's entertainment, for me.

It even seemed cool enough to have the duvet back on the bed, and hopefully a good night's sleep ahead.

No comments: