Monday 15 August 2022

Sunday 14th August 2022

Sylv returns home to Bury on Monday, so as if playing cards and having supper on Friday, taking her and Jen out on Saturday evening to the Rising Sun, they were coming to Chez Jelltex for lunch on Sunday before her return to the frozen north on Monday.

The plan had been to have tommahawk steaks, very slow roasted, but Mark in Preston couldn't get any, so we settled for crown of lamb instead. A crown is three ribs tied together, with I would stuff with jewelled fruits and roast for an hour or som, this would give us lots of ribs each, but John said he wanted to come too, so it would be just enough for the five of us.

I really needed a haircut, but needed to prepare everything, so instead I stayed home and did the stuffing, which took a good hour. Jools went swimming again, and we had 1st and 2nd breakfasts when she got back.

It was another very hot day. When we arranged this, I didn't know the weather forecast. I suppose I could have changed the menu, but I wanted to do something nice and special.

Just walking to the bottom of the garden and back meant I came over all hot and bothered.

At half twelve, I put the crown in the oven having spooned the stuffing into the middle, and extra to be warmed through in a loaf tin.

I made a batch of Moroccan spiced rice, and Jools rustled up a salad to complete the meal.

No, to complete the meal there was to be steamed fresh corn.

It all came together some ten minutes after they arrived. I split the crown up into 5 fairly equal pieces, the rest was put into bowls for us to serve ourselves.

Jen said, I thought you said there would be corn?

Bugger, still on the stove.

So, I grabbed those and served them at the table.

Fizz was poured.

And we tucked in.

And, even if I say so myself, it was probably the best meal I cooked. Perfect balance of flavours, fresh and healthy fruit and vegetables.

Two hundred and twenty six That was darn good eatin'!

After we drained a second bottle of fizz, I retired to the sofa and the rest cleared away and washed up.

I tried to stay awake.

It was tough.

Forest won, and the Chelsea and Spurs fought, literally, out a 2-2 draw.

By which time it was supper time, I nipped out to KFC for a couple of zinger burgers, finding no queue at the drive in, was in and out in a couple of minutes.

We ate the burger and fries, I uploaded shots for #wildflowerhour and was all done by quarter past eight.

Upstairs, it was like a sauna, and so sleep would come with creaf difficulty.

No comments: