Thursday 18 August 2022

Wednesday 17th August 2022

In a Douglas Adams style, I will now reveal that no storm or rain arrived during the day after all.

Though some parts of the country got nearly four inches.

We had been forecast thunderstorms and rain on Wednesday, for several days. I had the storm radar on, and tracked storm after storm that drifted across the Channel only to peter out. Over and over again.

One storm nearly made it here, but after soaking Hythe and Folkestone, it just faded away.

Saying that, we had been woken the night before with flashes and bangs of a storm over the Channel, and we had actually had some rain. So the morning dawned all misty and murky.

Two hundred and twenty nine We had put all pieces of garden equipment, cat beds and so on, so that they wouldn't be got wet and rust or need washing. In the end, of course, wasn't needed, but I wasn't to know that.

Work was pretty much the same for me as it always is. Meetings. mails. sighing.

If Teams ever captures the sounds of eye rolling, I'd be so screwed.

So, with one eye on the storm radar, the day crawled forward.

And the storms never got here. At one point I heard thunder from one over the coast of northern France and thought it might continue to drift north. But didn't.

I got a text from Jools to say it was "lively" in Hythe, doubly so as it was their fete. I think they got wet.

But none here.

I even turn the radio off at one point so I could listen for the sound of approaching thunder. But apart from a single very distant rumble, nothing came.

So, I prepared dinner, our old favourite chorizo hash. It really has become one of our favourite meals over the 15 years since I stumbled on the recipe. I also had beer.

Chimay Tripel beer.

The day faded into mist and gloom. But no rain.

It was still humid.

No comments: