Tuesday 9 August 2022

Monday 8th August 2022

Would have been my 30th wedding anniverasy had I not divorced the first Mrs H.

I have not regretted it once.

Not once.

Anyway.....

You know the scene in Harry Potter when he received an avalanche of invites from Hogworts? Well, that has been me and the cards from Specsavers about an overdue eyetest.

Two hundred and twenty So, along with an emergency dental appointment, I took most of Monday off, with Jools dropping me off midway between St Maggies and Dover, so I could safely walk into town, as no roads or lanes have pavements, so this being the only safe way.

Market Square, Dover, Kent I had time, so once at the cliffs, I sat on a bench and looked at the comings and goings, and a guy base-jumping off the cliff. No idea if he survived, but his partner filmed the leap.

Back along the cliffs He had a go-pro on his helmet, which made me think he was a cyclist at first, and I was going to tell him off for cycling along the cliffs.

Back along the cliffs There we no screams of despair after he jumped, so he must have survived. A Google search revealed another base jumper only just survived after his chute failed in 2018, falling to the beach in St Maggies.

Back along the cliffs I walked on, down into Langdon Hole, with clouds of Chalkhills scattering from each footfall. And there was me saying at the weekend I hadn't seen any.

Back along the cliffs Down below in the harbour, ferries came and went, and line of cars and motorhomes lined up to check in and board. No queues for freight.

Back along the cliffs And to the north, a small cruise ships approaches the harbour to dock at the cruise terminal and load up with a fresh set of passengers.

Back along the cliffs I reach the end of the Cliff Road and climb the path towards the NT building, then turn left along the path before taking the steep path down towards Eastcliff and Athol Terrace.

Back along the cliffs It is easier going down.

Just.

Under Jubilee Way and out of what little breeze there was, it was hot. I had 45 minutes to get to the opticians.

Back along the cliffs I walked along Eastcliff, past the multi-coloured houses cowering under the cliffs, along Townwall Street before cutting through the St James Development. I can report that the site of the old leisure centre looks like it is going to be another car park.

Back along the cliffs As is the site of the old Co-Op, which was the site of an indoor craft market, but that too now has been razed and looked like being a car park too.

Back along the cliffs The car parks we already have are not full, as the council lets stuff being built in Whitfield.

Back along the cliffs I walk down Castle Street, then along Biggen Street to the optician, where they get me in early.

Back along the cliffs And then the blinding machine broke, and it took half an hour to fix, by which time my slot had closed.

Can you come back another time?

Whaaa?

I now had two hours to kill before my dental appointment, so I went for lunch, had a cheese toastie at a place looking out onto the Market Square, where they have repaved it, taken down the large TV stand, the TV went years ago, and the fountain. We will now have large silver hoops.

Back along the cliffs I was thinking I hadn't seen anyone I knew in town, despite sitting outside 'Spoons for an hour or more, and then as I walked across the Market Square again, a shout went up: Is that you, Ian?

Back along the cliffs and into Dover It was Jen and Sylv, just returning from a walk along the prom and heading for 'Spoons.

Back along the cliffs and into Dover I told them of my dental appointment, and a plan was made for me to meet them there, where they would try to lead me astray.

Back along the cliffs and into Dover But the appointment went on nearly an hour, not the 15 minutes planned, as they can't take my word what was wrong. I had to have an inspection where they confirmed I had two fractured wisdom teeth, and needed to book two appoinments.

Back along the cliffs and into Dover I walked back out and into 'Spoons, and seached all the tables, but they had gone. And I didn't stop for a swifter, so I walk up to Boots and get the first taxi waiting to take me back home.

Back along the cliffs and into Dover I was home at half two, and with the 14,500 steps done, in the sun and on the hard streets of Dover meant I was tired. I put the radio on and fell asleep on the sofa.

Back along the cliffs and into Dover I dragged myself into the kitchen at four, and prepare chorizo hash, which as I was hungry had an extra potato in it. In fact, the boiled to a mush red potatoes came out very crispy and yummy indeed. I opened a bottle of red, of which I drik over half, maybe 60&.

Was good.

It is getting hot again, so before the heatwave arrives, I put the moth trap out to see what's fluttering when we were in bed.

No comments: