Monday 8 August 2022

Sunday 7th August 2022

Part two of the weekend.

And it was hot.

Damn hot.

Jools got up early and went for a swim in the harbour.

Bugger that. I stayed home. Washed up, did the bird feeders and made breakfast.

So, when she came back we had fruit, coffee and piss-poor croissants. But it all worked.

Celastrina argiolus It was too hot for a walk.

But. Butterflies.

Jools said she would not come for a walk. But I said I would go.

OK, she'll come.

As we set off a breeze rose from the west and it took the edge off the temperatures.

It has been an insect-filled month so far, and as we walked onto the track at the end of our street, I saw a Holly Blue, and further along lots of Common Blues feeding on whatever they could.

Polyommatus icarus I had hoped to see more Clouded Yellows as we walked over the fields, but I saw that the Lucerne has been harvested, so all was flat in the field. But around the edge and on the path there were plants that had escaped, and in time I saw at least two Clouded Yellows, obvious from the large butterfly's flight, as the wings showed dusty orange.

Colias croceus I got shots.

Yes, it was hot, but the breeze was cooling enough. We walked over the fields to Fleet House, then down past the farm and up the long slope, pausing at the bench.

We stopped maybe half an hour, sitting looking out over Otty Bottom Road and the golf course beyond, and further, just visible two parts of the Channel right on the horizon.

We soaked in that view, then decided what with the morning getting on and it getting even more warmer, we should make tracks for home.

Two hundred and nineteen Along Green lane, where there were fewer butterflies, but that could have been down to the lower winds and widespread flowers available.

So, we walked along the lane, turning down between the paddocks to Collingwood and back home.

It was half eleven, so we had an iced squash and listened to Desert Island Discs on the i player player beofre I made lunch: pork pie, salad and baby boiled potatoes. Perfect for a hot and sunny afternoon.

And then there was five hours of football.

Man Utd v Brighton, which Brighton won 2-1. In truth, I'm still laughing.

Followed by West Ham v Citeh, which ended up 2-0 to Citeh, and were impressive.

I make aubergine for supper. In that I didn't make the aubergine, I peeled, sliced, salted then egg and breadcrumb it before shallow frying.

Light and tasty, perfect for a summer's evening.

And once again, the weekend had slipped by.

How?

No comments: