Saturday 15 January 2022

Friday 14th January 2022

The end of the week.

Jools failed to book her yoga class, so can't attend the class, so instead decides to have a slow start to the day then go and sit on the beach on the way to work. She even has a second drink, a coffee, before leaving for work.

I have an early morning meeting a weekly catch up with the rest of the department But there's a bank holiday in India, so its just those from Denmark and myself.

Fourteen Restrictions are harder in Denmark, and my boss is sounding quite down. Depending on your viewpoint, we are either lucky or unlucky in having no restrictions other than masks here, and we can go out and meet friends, go out for a meal.

I got a call from a colleague, di I want to meet up for a drnk or two Friday afternoon? He was going to come down from Broadstairs, all I had to do was select the pucky pub.

I plugh through the morning's work, battling an building migraine, so having to take regular breaks, but time and time again the flashing lights returned, so it was good to reach midday and turn the laptop off.

Walk to Walmer Outside there was clear blue skines, unbroken sunshine and almost no wind. A perfect day for a walk.

Walk to Walmer The Green Berry seemed to be the best place, so it was agreed, and I thought I would walk.

Last time I did this was over two years ago, but its not that far, I thought.

Walk to Walmer 14500 steps it turned out.

And for the first part, I had to walk into the village and then out along Kingsdown Road to avoid the mud down The Dip, which added at least twenty minutes to the walk.

Walk to Walmer But it was a glorious day, and I had plenty of time. I thought.

Sunny, still and almost warm, like Spring had arrived early.

I reached the top of The Dip and continued on, past the path leading to The Monument and down Otty Bottom Road, which I now know is called Otty Bottom Road as Oyyy Bottom Cottage is at the bottom.

Walk to Walmer A few cyclists zoom by, some even ding their bells to let me know there were coming.

I seemed to remember the road running quite quickly into Kingsdown once at Otty Bottom, but the track seemed to go on and on. I checked my watch, this was taking longer than planned.

Walk to Walmer Finally the road to the golf course joined from the right, and the road dipped down and I could see the shimmering light of the smooth English Channel beyond.

Walk to Walmer It looked like a summer day, heck it was even warm enough to undo my coat. From here it was a quick walk along the road as it would be tough going on the shingle beach.

Walk to Walmer I did stop to look at the SSSI for orchid rosettes, and was rewarded with a nice large one sitting in the short grass.

Walk to Walmer Outside the Zeltand Arms people were sitting at picnic tables, drinking in the sunshine, and in the sea some were even swimming. It was probably quite cold.

Walk to Walmer From the Zetland Arms its a long flat walk between the houses and shingle beach. A few people out enjoying the day or walking their dogs.

Walk to Walmer I finally come to Walmer Castle, the ceremonial residence of the Lard Warden, it looks splendid, and I reminded its been a few years since we were last there, so a revisit come spring I think.

Walk to Walmer My friend calls; where the hack am I?

15 minutes to go I tell him.

Suddenly Deal Pier seems very close, and I can see the main Dover road in the distance too. I cut through the houses, cross Dover road and come to Canada Road. I could almost see the beer from here.

Walk to Walmer 200 yards to go, I could see the pub sign. I stumble on, reach for the door handle and go inside. I see a fine row of beer pumps on the bar, I select a pint of Harvey's Old which I knew I would have.

It goes down a treat.

Pete was there, waiting. We hug and toast each other.

The beers go down well, all of them pints of Old for me, with the occasional bag of Mini-Cheddars to soak up the beer.

Jools arrives at half four, we have one more drink.

What to do?

How about the Freed Man?

Good idea.

We pour ourselves int he car and Jools drives us to the other end of the town, we find a place to park and walk to the micropub.

Inside it is rammed, but we are invited to join a table with two couples sitting, we start talking to them and the laughter and banter flows very well.

The beer pours well too.

Our new frineds leave, but Pete and I have another beer. Yay.

Eight o'clcok comes round and Pete thinks he should be heading home. If we could get him to Deal station by half past there was a train home, so we drink up and walk back to the car, and its a short drive to the station, making it with 5 minutes to spare.

But we were hungry. KFC?

Why not.

So, back along the Dover road, though thickening mist and fog banks to Whitfield. There is no queue at the drive thru, so we look at the menu and order some box-thing. It is ready within 30 seconds, so take the food back home to eat.

Somehow it was half nine, I felt shattered, by legs had stiffened up, and we had an early start in the morning.

So, time for bed.

Phew.

No comments: