Monday 31 January 2022

Sunday 30th January 2022

I needed a haircut.

I had put it off from the previous week as our friend, Mary, was out in that London taking pictures, so I said we would wait a week.

Thirty Even if it was like it felt I had a woolly had on in the meantime.

But we got up, and outside the sky was clear and already dawn showing in the east. South east.

Sunrise in Folkestone Shall we go out early for a walk round Folkestone?

We shall.

So, after coffee we were out and on our way, even as the sun rose as we headed down Jubilee Way, turning the white cliffs pink.

Sunrise in Folkestone No lines of trucks on the A20, heading into port, but we were going in the other direct, so no worries.

Sunrise in Folkestone Through Capel and down the steep hill into Folkestone, down the Tramway beside the old Harbour Branch, and parking at the bottom rather than going to the top of the Old HIgh Street, as I didn't want to miss a second of the glorious light.

Sunrise in Folkestone A change of plan, and we go to the fishing quay instead of going down the old railway, as the light would have been perfect on the rows of brick puildings looking towards the rising sun.

Sunrise in Folkestone I was right, it was glorious, I mean breathtaking. I took lots of shots as we walked to the end of the quay and looked north towards Dover.

Sunrise in Folkestone Another photographer was there, taking shots in the fabulous light, though we don't speak as we were both busy, so I didn't find out it was a long time Flickr contact, Only Lines.

Sunrise in Folkestone We turn round and walk to the old railway, climb the steps onto the trackbed, now a long seaside garden, full of native plants. Along with views over the harbour on both sides.

Sunrise in Folkestone We go trough the old station, now looking fine following its rennovation, though no market being set up, so we have the place pretty much to ourselves. We go up on the upper level of the harbour arm, past a couple of fishermen dangling worms into the chilly Channel.

Sunrise in Folkestone We walk round the lighthouse, down onto the lower level and back to the station and round the harbour, past the hotel and to the foot of the Old High Street. I had an hour before my haircut, shall we go for a coffee?

Sunrise in Folkestone We shall.

Near the top we go in and both order a toasted bagel, and a huge gingerbread latte for me, with an extra shot. And it was excellent.

Sunrise in Folkestone I then go to the church to look for a rare plant that had been found, but I fail to find it, but will try again in a few weeks.

Sunrise in Folkestone Then to the barbers where I have to wait 15 minutes for a free chair, then I am shorn, and feel cooler and lighter.

Sunrise in Folkestone Perfect.

From there I cruise down to the place where Jools and Mary were waiting, we chat about travel and photography and things we will do when travel is allowed. Its good to dream.

Sunrise in Folkestone At eleven, we are done, so Jools and I walk back down the Old High Street, now packed with people and shops open, to the car park where every space is taken. We load the car and are off, back up to Capel and onto the A20 back into Dover where there are no trucks waiting still, so it was easy to get to the foot of Jubiilee Way and then up the cliffs to home.

Sunrise in Folkestone We have another coffee before I go for a shower, shave and a fresh change of clothes. Feeling human again.

We have lunch, then I settle down for an afternoon of Football League, Derby come from behind to draw 2-2 with the last kick of the game to huge cheers from the capacity crowd.

Sunrise in Folkestone We have taco for dinner to use the last of the salsa and sour cream up.

Outside, it is dark again, and the weekend has also slipped by once more.

No comments: