Wednesday 25 September 2019

Tuesday 24th September 2019

Back to work.

Real work, with travel, restaurants and ferry trips.

And to match this change, the weather did too, heavy rain fell all night and was still falling at the excuse for a dawn, as we left the house.

A rainy morning in old Dover town Jools dropped me in town so I could walk then go to the car hire place.

A rainy morning in old Dover town Dover was grey and wet, of course, and soon the drizzle began to fall and get heavier.

A rainy morning in old Dover town So, I walk to the port, along the hotels and big houses along Townwall Street to East Cliff.

A rainy morning in old Dover town I had to wait while the office was opened up, then handed the keys to some Suzuki thing, automatic and with a DAB radio.

Perfect.

I went back home and have breakfast, book the car onto the Isle of Wight ferry, and get ready to leave.

Two hundred and sixty seven I decide to stay to listen to the Supreme Court result, then load the car, set up the radio. And set course for Southampton.

Southampton is along the coast, but no decent roads between, so the only way is to go up to London, along the M25 and down the M3, and so I would be at the mercy of jams and Biblical weather.

Back in the jug agane I listen to the phone ins on LBC as the result from the Supreme Court was discussed and approved.

I reach the top of the M3, turn south and the clouds above look full of something, maybe mustard, maybe rain.

Back in the jug agane I reach Southampton at three, just after a ferry had left, so I had time for tea and a wad.

Back in the jug agane I thought my days on the Island were over, but no, here I was again.

The next ferry arrives and we were allowed on, me driving on first.

Back in the jug agane I go out on the back deck, the city is bathed in light, but huge clouds huddle over the distant downs. Very dramatic. I take pictures.

The crossing is uneventful, just the usual sights, but I snap them again, the light is just incredible.

We arrive in Cowes, wait to drive off. I am first off. I drive off, round the block and stunned to find no queue for the floating bridge, but I then see it had broken down, and the way on was blocked.

Meaning, I had to drive the long way round the the first bridge over the river, at Newport.

At rush hour.

It took an hour.

Traffic was a nightmare.

On an island.

Oh well.

I reach the hotel, check in, then decide to walk into town as the rain had stopped.

Not a clever idea, it turned out.

Cowes It was a pleasant walk, the high tide was lapping at the stone quay, the lights of Southampton and Portsmouth flickering in the distance.

I walk to the Cowes Ale House, have a pint, then walk to a curry house to have a slap up meal. Of curried lentils.

Which was nice.

By the now rain had returned, meaning I got soaked walking into the keen westerly breeze, back to the hotel where I stop for a wee dram before going to my room to decompress.

No comments: