Thursday 26 September 2019

Wednesday 25th September 2019

And to work. Real work.

As that's what they pay me for.

I spelt well, earplugs helped muffling the sound of a party going on nearby.

Anyway, I was awake, had a shower, and was ready for breakfast at half six. But I thought it started at seven. So I go down at seven, and I'm half an hour early.

So half an hour later, I go down, have fruit,a nd was I hungry? Yes I was. So, sausage, bacon, egg, beans and hash browns went down very well.

Set me up very well for the day. I wan't going to fade before lunch, for sure.

I was to meet the auditors off the jet foil at quarter to nine.

I timed my departure to the second, only I forgot how to get there. The terminal is at the end of a long dead end road, ending at the harbour. I drive to the main road into town, then turn back in, having to drive down narrow traffic-lined streets, arriving one minute early. My colleague was there, and the auditors got off the ferry two minutes later.

They come over, we shake hands and we drive off to the factory.

This is serious shit. I mean the projects are big, but the certification audit is bigger. The whole of the factory management were out to greet the auditors, and me.

We were taken to an office, plied with coffee and the shot got real.

Seven hours later, we were done for the day. I had arranged accommodation for the auditors at the same hotel as I, and I was to "entertain" them in the evening.

Yes, imagine that!

So, we were to meet at seven. At quarter to, I get a call from Jools telling me Mum was in hospital, but this time it was really series. A heart attack, and was in a critical condition.

I had only spoken to her the night before, she seemed OK, though she was fed up with her situation. Little did I know that would be the last time I spoke to her.

I was fine with it, still am.

I told the auditors, they were sympathetic, obviously. But business as usual.

Two hundred and sixty eight We walked along the sea wall, then along the river into town, to a restaurant I had booked a table at the night before.

Jools called, and my ringtone is Bostich by Yello. They both knew it.

So, over dinner, we talked independent music, John Peel, gigs and stuff from the 80s.

And then there was great food too.

My poor Danish colleague was a little lost to be honest.

And that was that.

A good night, and Mum in hospital.

No comments: