Monday 25 October 2021

Sunday 24th October 2021

Second day of the weekend, and my shin splints were little better, and on top of that my back was grumbling.

I said I wasn't going for a walk in the morning this time, so instead Jools did some gardening, planting snowdrops for some early spring flowers.

We hope.

There was plenty to do in the house, as I had invited Jen and John for lunch; roast chicken and all the trimmings, and as I was concerned the chicken wasn't very pig, I bought sausages and bacon for pigs in blankets and was going to make stuffing too, though cook in a loaf tin rather than stuff into the chicken, so, non-stuffed stuffing. There would be the usual Yorkshire Puddings, roast potatoes, steam veg and gravy.

So after breakfast I have a shower and get busy, I was so far ahead of schedule, I was so proud of myself. Last, I got the steamer down, prepared the vegetables and loaded the two layers up and popped it on the stove ready for cooking.

At quarter to twelve, I put the chicken in, and half an hour later add the pigs in blankets and stuffing on the shelf below. As the chicken was nearly done, I put the veg on and set about heating the tin up for the puddings, popped the part-boiled potatoes in the fryer and made the gravy. I looked at the veg and saw no steam, but there was some change in colour. I was busy with other stuff so gave it no other thought.

THe chicken was carved and I opened the lid of the steamer, and a smell hit me. THe top layer looked OK, but not really cooked, but the leeks and carrots on the lower level were all burnt. Had the steamer run dry? No, I had failed to put any water in it at all. Eeeek.

Two hundred and ninety seven The veg was partly edible, so I divided what was good out, served the rest and it was great, but I like things to be perfect, and it wasn't. But what was dished up was eaten, even the almost raw cauliflower.

We drained our glasses of wine and the others cleared up while I dealt the cards for a quick round of Meld, which would be done in time for the big game at half four. And I win the pot, the 30p is mine, all mine!

The football is glorious, Liverpool thrash Man Utd 5-0, and could have been a lot worse. Utd were so bad, it was funny, defenders running into each other, Pogba sent off. Sigh.

Nearly as bad as Norwich.

And that was it.

We have cheese and crackers for supper, listen to some radio and the weekend had slipped by once again.

No comments: