Saturday 7 November 2020

Friday 6th November 2020

It has been cloudy, grey, dull, cold and windy for weeks now, so on Friday morning, I was amazed the sun risge to the south south east, almost over the other side of the Dip, lighting up the kitchen with its first rays. And between the branches of the large tree along from the houses on the ridge, the Dover Patrol Monument can be seen again.

Three hundred and eleven It is winter.

Just about.

And yet, Friday was to be sunny, clear and even nearly warm. But I would have to work, of course.

A walk round St Maggies But on the plus side, I have fixed the cross trainer. It can be used again. But in saying that, I must add that it is not well, there is stil metal swarf under the rear crank, meaning its not going to last long, but I will be climbing back on come Monday morning.

A walk round St Maggies This has been Jools' forst week back at work, and the only week she will probably work all four days before April next year. As normal, she had Friday off, and at half six she went to Tesco to get the shopping in, nice and early. I guess this was always her plan, as she had two appointments booked, including a haircut, but both have been postponed, as has most of "normal" life.

A walk round St Maggies I make our breakfasts, listen to a podcast, and wait for her to return so we can eat together.

Life with the cats has settled down now. It has been a week since Cleo has had an accident, and for the most part they have been accepted. On occasion Scully has chased one or both the kittens in or out of the house, and it sounds quite nasty, but the kittens just bounce back and come back meowing. And wanting food.

A walk round St Maggies She did have one appointment, their first second check up at the vets, though she could not go in with them. But the good news is that both kittens have put on 600 grams, and the vet thinks them between 1 and 2 years old. They seem too small for that, but I am not an expert.

A walk round St Maggies When she comes home at half twelve, we have lunch of ham rolls and fresh huge brews, of course.

Leaving just a couple of hours to work until it was time to call it: it were the weekend.

I make a couple of cottage pies with the leftover beef, leaving still enough for another roast dinner on Saturday.

A walk round St Maggies Then we go for a walk.

It was nice out after all.

When the cross trainer apparently broke, the alternate plan was to walk up and down Station Road. Its a steep road, with two large hills, and if nothing else, it would get the blood pumping. But with the cross trainer repaired, Jools said we should go for a walk anyway.

A walk round St Maggies Oh, why not?

I did say I wasn't going to take a camera, but it seems I lied.

A walk round St Maggies The large field at the end of our street still has hay bales, so in the low afternoon sun I took a series of shots before we walk back to Station Road, then up the hill into the village.

A walk round St Maggies At the Old Red Lion we turned down Kingsdown Road, as the plan was to walk along it and then down The Dip back home, it looked passable the day before.

A walk round St Maggies The sun was sinking lower, and the colours cast on the bare branches of the trees and shrubs along the lane were red and warm, the shadows lengthened too. At the top of Norway Drove, we turned for home, down the long steep slope to the mud at the bottom.

A walk round St Maggies I saw no butterflies or dragonflies on the wing or resting again, but a walk is never wasted, we see plenty of interest, and to be out on such a fine afternoon was worth it.

A walk round St Maggies Back home I put one of the cottage pies in the oven, boil some fresh corn and soon enough we are eating another fine meal.

I also have wine, because its the weekend.

I watch football through the evening, I can't even remember who played. I can remember every details of games played 45 years ago, but not what I watched last night.

I drink three healthy glasses of sloe port, and go to bed happy.

No comments: