Monday 30 November 2020

Sunday 29th December 2020

After the glorious weather on Saturday, Sunday was cold, grey and miserable. It seemed remiss to do much that you could consider fun, and in these dark, grim days of a COVID winter, what fun is there to be had?

I was awake long before five, no real reason, but it was a morning when I knew I wasn't going to go back to sleep. I lay in the dark as the clock ticked round to half five, then six. Still dark, no birdsong from outside.

Two and a bit cats Scully jumped on my feet, walked up my legs, this is her way of telling me it was breakfast time. I long for the time they can send a text or e mail.

So I get up, feed the cats and make a coffee.

Jools gets up, we sit at the table. We agree there was no plan.

No plan.

We have first breakfast of fruit and another coffee, and then at half nine, croissants and yet more coffee.

It wasn't really light by then either. The table lamp on the dining room table stayed switched on all day. Ready for dusk when that cam soon after two in the afternoon.

Corned beef fritters and roasted pepper pasta By then I had made lunch, corned beef fritters, using up some out of date beef, boiled three spuds and mashed them. Came out well with a simple pasta mixed with roasted vegetables.

Yummy. I sat down to watch the first game, and then Jools called me: Come here, NOW!

I go, and on top of the hedge is a sparrowhawk eating some poor small garden bird. Possibly a sparrow. I run to get my camera, put the big lens on it and go to rattle off a load of shots, no time to do anything other than press the sutter. One had the brod looking straight at me, yellow eyes ablaze!

Three hundred and thirty four Wow.

I go back to the football, at least Southampton v Man Utd had goals, so was very watchable. The next game, Chelsea v Tottenham was a stinker. Three shots on target all game, and no goals. I hated myself for wasting two hours of the weekend on it. I tell myself I wasn't going to watch the evening game.

Instead I write and we listen to the radio, have more cheese and crackers and wine for supper.

Then I watch the second half of the Arse v Wolves game, which the Arse lose.

No comments: