Tuesday 10 November 2020

Monday 9th November 2020

And here we are back on the chaingang.

Only there's no chain.

Or gang.

But we have to earn a crust, on the offchance we can go on our holibobs next year.

And Jools is to go to work, if only for two days this week, and for now each week after this.

It was to be a dull and cool day, not a day for walking, so I had little excuse for my mind wandering. And yet, it still did.

Wandered as lonely as a lonely thing.

Still, I try to show willing.

And, I had made a promise to myself, to get back on the cross trainer, and as soon as Jools had eaten her breakfast, she was gone, so I could go upstairs, but my trainers on and do 15 minutes or so while listening to the radio, annoyed when there is more talking than music. The seconds crawl.

Time passes and I reach 15 minutes. The big question is would I do the second session in the afternoon?

I have breakfast, make coffee and am all ready to go for the morning meeting, at which there is no news, just more confusion.

The next question is how long could I go before I have lunch. Now, that depends on what you call lunch, brunch or second breakfast. I deem that toast and marmalade counts as second breakfast. At least the worms were satisfied until midday, nearly. At which point I could have corned beef and onion sandwiches.

I fail to get out of the my rut, the afternoon drags, even meetings pale.

Sigh.

Needless to say, once four rolls round, I am in no mood for more phys. I go for a shower instead.

Out of the window I see a large male pheasant eating from our low feeder. Poppy goes out and is confronted by the largest bird she has seen. She chases it round the garden until the bird flies off. Poppy has spirit. Oh yes.

Three hundred and fourteen I prepare dinner in silence as I find that Steve Lamaqc is on his holibobs again, or is not on air this week, and instead there is Nemone with her bleeps and beats. Dinner was breaded chicken, curried rice and garlic mushrooms with onions and peppers.

And a large glass of tripel.

And needless to say, it was fantastic. I even waited for Jools to come home.

And for a change, in the evening I attended an online lecture on the history of Kent churches by my good friend, John Vigar. This was the first of three such lectures, and this one covered the Roman, Saxon and Norman periods and gave me ideas where to visit once this plague is over.

No comments: