Sunday 26 December 2021

Saturday 25th December 2021

Christmas Day.

Peace and Goodwill to all Men.

Although some didn't get the memo.

We had a whole day of nothing planned. Other than cooking Christmas dinner and having Mike and George over to share lunch with.

We woke at just gone six, a soft milky light was just about noticeable on the horizon, but it was going to be a grey, dull day, not one for going out walking, checking on how full the harbour was with ferries as we sometimes do.

We have coffee, then crossants and coffee before I make bacon butties at half nine, with it being light outside.

We had the radio on, the usual shows, but pre-recorded, it was fine. We buy each other nothing now. I mean whe have what we want, and get it when we need it. But we do buy each other a card, which we exchange over the second coffees, and the day was set.

The turkey is taken out of the fridge to warm to room temperature before cooking starting at ten. It will take three hours, plenty of time in which to make the stuffing balls, unpack the pigs in blankets, peel the potatoes and prepare the rest of the veg. Jen had bought us a new steamer, which we will with sprouts, leeks, carrots, cauliflower and broccoli.

All good to go.

I pop open a bottle of Christmas beer with an hour of cooking to go, stuffing and pigs in blankets go in the other oven, and things are going well.

Delirium Christmas Mike and George arrive, we ply them with beer, or Budweiser as its what they like. Jools and them chat, while I retire to the kitchen to finish dinner.

The turkey was done at one, the vegetables put on to steam, the potatoes already boiled. The turkey rested before carving, and I made a vat of gravy to go with dinner.

It all came together at half one, or just before. I carve the turkey, Jools doels out the vegetables, the potatoes are crispy, so put into a bowl on the table for all to have as many as they wanted. Finally the Yorkshire puddings were taken out of their tin and laced tow on each plate. Gravy was decanted, and the table was laid and each placing had a full plate.

Three hundred and fifty nine Cheers, and Merry Christmas.

Jen had bought us a new steamer, which didn't go too well, as the top layer was quite undercooked, but the leeks and carrots were done to a turn, and the broccoli just about edible.

There was enough food, of course.

We eat well, and afterwards, talk long over full glasses of either beer or wine.

Come four, Mike and George leave, George doesn't drink, so they were safe on their travels home. Jools and I tidy up, not until we had watched the newSawn the Sheep adventure.

Whilst we were talking with Mike, I had another migraine, which raises the question as to what the trigger is. Finger of suspicion is on coffee, tomorrow I will try to go without and see what happens. I have been thinking that if I get a migraine each day, work on a computer might be next to impossible. So, better find the cause ASAP.

It was good having Mike and Goeorge over. They are my family now, all mine are now gone. And past Christmasses are either memories or faded pictures. I miss them of course, but I prefer these celebrations with Jools.

Night falls, we have the radio on. Later we play crib, and I win. Yay, me!

Supper is crackers, with cheese for Jools but with just butter for me. I do have some sloe port, though.

And so ends another Christmas Day.

No comments: