Monday 6 December 2021

Sunday 5th December 2021

Before yesterday, I have been recognised in two of the three areas of Kentcentric photography I mess about in.

A walk round Canterbury First was when we went into The Dove at Dargate, I asked if I could take a shot, and a lady at the bar asked if I was "Jelltex from Flickr?" I had to confirm I was.

A walk round Canterbury I have been asked on a couple of occasions when out snapping orchids if I was Biship Bran Jones. And again, I conirm I was.

A walk round Canterbury I was even recognised at Railfest in York as I had recently snapped a stone train going over Ribblehead, but that's another story.

A walk round Canterbury On Sunday, there was no planned churchcrawling, but never one to turn down an open door.

A walk round Canterbury After the aborted trip to Canterbury on Saturday, I mulled over what to do, and I thought a walk along the streets before shops opened would be great, get it over with early as rain was forecasted for later.

A walk round Canterbury So we have coffee. Croissants and more coffee, and at the crack of nine AM we are in the car and driving to Canterbury, where other cars seem to think they own lanes or are in some kind of race. Or both. It was quite a relief to turn off and drive down Old Dover Road, parking in the usual place beside St Augustine's Abbey.

A walk round Canterbury Nothing planned, just a walk in the city.

After the weather yesterday put paid to plans for a walk round the city, we returned this morning and initially, found Canterbury to be pretty empty.

A walk round Canterbury Cobbled streets around the cathedral lined with shops yet to open, and that's OK as we needed nothing, really.

A walk round Canterbury We walk down past St Paul's church, St Paul Without in fact, and Jools spotted the door was open. Shall we go in?

A walk round Canterbury We shall.

I walk in and the young man by the door greets us: is it OK if I take some shots? I ask.

A walk round Canterbury Sure, you're not that chap off the Facebook Churchcrawling group, er, Jones?

A walk round Canterbury Bishop Brian Jones, I ask?

Yes.

Yes, that is me, I admitted.

You're very prolific, great shots.

The Miller's Arms, Canterbury, Kent What we could do with, though, was a coffee. Could we find a place open?

A walk round Canterbury We do find a small place to have a coffee and a spicy cinnamon bun.

One of the reasons for going early in the morning is to snap the streets devoid of people, which I partly achieved.

A walk round Canterbury We walked down Palace Street, past the ancient house at number 8 that Jools' old boss used to own, all the way to Kings School shop with its wonky door, which was wedged open, the first time I have seen this.

A walk round Canterbury Through some period terraced houses the site of a former mill, and a quick walk along the Great Stour, over the old races and back to Westgate, by which time the rain was already beginning to fall again, so we hurried back to the car.

A walk round Canterbury We did stop off at an American andy shop to buy a sharing bag of Peanut M&Ms, being charged twelve quid, let us see if we could make the bag last into Monday. Or beyond.

A walk round Canterbury Back home in rain, via the pet shop for some bird food, then home for coffee, before Jools was going swimming at three. I was going to photograph a railtour down in Dover, but it being too cold and still raining, I decide not to go after all. Make a brew instead and watch some Championship footy, I think.

A walk round Canterbury Jools went swimming, and I started to prepare chorizo hash, boiling potatoes and preparing the onions and peppers, so once Jools come back home, I cook, so that its all ready for just after half four.

St Peter, Canterbury, Kent And that was the weekend done again.

Not much done, and yet more relaxing than last week, but just as shattered come nine in the evening, so tired I didn't read the last chapters in the JCC book.

No comments: