Friday 24 December 2021

Thursday 23rd December 2021

So, here we are, the very end of the working year for Jools. It was hoped that it would be quiet and not too manic, Jools even switched her alarm off so she could lay in a bit.

Then up to face the world.

We have coffee, then as I have chores to run, I am to drop her off at the factory then do shopping.

Roads were quiet, I mean very quiet, so we cruised to Folkestone, then took the narrow road over the downs into Hythe, rattling through the houses to the industria area, dropping Jools off at the warehouse so she could collect deivery notes to log in.

I turned round and haded back through Hythe, over the downs to Folkestone, then onto the motorway. I accelerated past a Piccanto, and sped up to 80, making good time before about to turn off at Hawkinge, where the tiny underpowered car got past and pulled in to tak the exit. I mean, I know I'm not the best driver in the world, but I wouldn't drive like that. We were not even going in the same direction, I turned towards Alkham and he, because its always a he, towards Hawkinge.

Dawn was breaking as I drove along the valley, a slight mist rising. In other times I might have stopped to take shots, but I have a date at Tesco and want to get that out of the way ASAP. So, up Whitfield Hill and along to the store, where the car park was slightly busier than normal, but not that much.

We needed milk, butter and a few other things. I even bought some extra coffee and grape nuts, but still only spent just over £40. I rushed to the till, paid and was out in twenty minutes, loading the car and driving to Preston.

Again, traffic was light, even on the Sandwich bypass, usually there is a queue of a dozen or so cars, but this time there was none. I turned off towards Canterbury before turning off onto the country lane to Nash and Perry Corner, and finally on to Preston. And there was even a car parking space out front.

Three hundred and fifty seven I go in brandishing a bottle of sloe port for the buys, as I promised. Both Mark and Steve try a mouthful, and are amazed at how smooth it was. I don't make crap, guys!

I bid them Merry Christmas, pass them twenty quid for a round at the pub opposite, and I was heading back home, all jobs done, apart from picking Jools up at noon.

I get back home, unload the car and have a coffee and some toast before putting the shopping away. Not much elese to do, though in the afternoon I would boil the salt beef to finish it off.

Fusion cooking The morning slipped by, and it was time to go to pick up Jools, she was waiting at the end of the road the the factory. We had thought about going somewhere for a bite to eat, but on reflection, we thought we should just go home, as there was a pack of mini pies that needed eating, and we were the right people to sort that out.

We get back at just about one, the working year done. I put the pies in the oven, and put the kettle on for brews.

After eating there was nothing to do. All has been done, we really felt like putting on our PJs and going to bed, but there was the beef to boil. I over it with water in the big pat, add several herbs and pices and get it cooking. Once boiled it simmers for three hours, so by five it was so tender it was coming apart.

N’ice CHOUFFE Supper is rolls with the salt beef, still hot. I add mustard and pickles which turned out to be a winning combination.

We close the curtains, blocking the outside world from view. No football to watch, just music to listen to.

Bed was calling, and we head up the wooden hill to bed.

No comments: