Wednesday 22 December 2021

Tuesday 21st December 2021

I have lived in Kent since 2007, and hadn't visited Sevenoaks before yesterday. It being one of Kent's major towns, this is something of a surprise, I even had to check my photostream on here to make sure: nothing for Sevenoaks. Dover Priory 06:40 For me, Sevenoaks is famous for two things: 1. the seven oaks destroyed in the 1987 "hurricane" and I suppose home to the chain of hi-fi shops, Sevenoaks Audio, though I didn't see a branch during my visit. Dover Priory 06:40 I don't know why I decided to visit here today, the idea had been to go to Nunhead to a large rambling and overgrown Victorian cemetery (more of that later), and the Southeastern website suggested the way there was via St Pancras and then on Thameslink. I thought there must have been a route across Kent, which is how I came to be in Sevenoaks, change here for Nunhead. Dover Priory 06:40 So, why not explore the town before travelling on? So, I guess that's why I was here. The spread of the new COVID variant meant I did consider cancelling the trip, but with no new lockdowns announced on Monday, and armed with a mask I set off, Jools dropping me off at Dover Priory at half six, withenough time for a gingerbread latte (with an extra shot) before my train pulled in. Dover Priory 06:40 Less than a dozen got in the 12 carriages, and there service trundled through Kent, Ashford, Pluckley, Marden, Staplehurst, Tonbdrige to deposit me here at Sevenoaks. Sevenoaks I and half a dozen people got off, I lingered to take a couple of shots before the long walk up the hill to the town centre. Thanks to GSV, I had travelled up London Road to the centre of town, so knew it was a hike, but worth it. I mean, no point going somewhere if there was nothing of worth to snap, was there? At first I walked past large houses, then at the major road junction, a sparkling Ferrari Dealership, not something we have in Dover, and not sure if Canterbury even has one. But Sevenoaks does, as well as on one, not two, but three dry cleaners, all looking busy. The main shopping area had old pubs and coaching inns, clapboard houses and other with peg tiles decorating the outside, all got photographed, of course. Att he top of the shopping streets, where the two A roads meet, there is a fine pre-warboys signpost that I snapped good and proper. Finally, as the hill flattened out, the buildings got older still, before coming to the parish church, which I knew from research was almost impossible to get inside judging by the reviews left. Three hundred and fifty five It wasn't yet nine, my back was complaining, so I took a seat in the chuchyard to wait. Sevenoaks Wait for what, I do not know. After leaving the churchyard, I walk back through the town, winding my way down the network of alleyways and find that the town has its own version of The Shambles, though from what I remember, shambles is an area of any town where butchery took place. A walk into Sevenoaks Back down to the station, to catch a train to Nunhead, but I find that the next train is cancelled, and staff can't tell me when the next one will run, of if I get there, if I could get back. A walk into Sevenoaks A train straight to Dover is due to leave in five minutes, so I go onto the platform to wait, and so I am heading back home by ten past eleven, sitting on an almost deserted train, though only eight car this time. A walk into Sevenoaks It whisked me back south east, back through Ashford, Folkestone and into Dover. A walk into Sevenoaks I could have caught a bus, but there were three taxis waiting. I needed just one, so took the first back home. The guy drove along Reach Road, along the tops of the cliffs, which is my favourite way back home. Though France was only just about visible in the mist. A walk into Sevenoaks He dropped me back off at the end of our street, I walked back home and once inside put the kettle on for a brew, and made a slice of toast to smother nutella with. A walk into Sevenoaks That's seriously unhealthy but good eatin. A walk into Sevenoaks It was just after one, I had five and a half hours to kill, what would I do? A walk into Sevenoaks I have no idea, but it did take me all afternoon to complete. I do recall watching Only Connect, drinking tea and feeding cats. A walk into Sevenoaks In fact waiting on our troop of felines takes most of the day, most days. A walk into Sevenoaks Dinner was to be fishcakes, stir fry and noodles. Still quite healthy, and full of vegetables. Jools got home in double quick time, as there was no traffic, and work seems to have finally calmed down before Christmas. She is still pooped. A walk into Sevenoaks Andy is to start Chemo on Tuesday, and that will take at least eight months, and should get a final diagnosis on how far along his cancer is. I am hoping its not as bad as it sounds, and that medicine can do wonders now. He has been playing records and has been over the moon with the record player. A walk into Sevenoaks We did good. We eat well, I have my Christmas beer, and Jools has cider. Ardenne Givrée There is football on the telly box; Arse v Sunderland, League Cup, a mis-match. I only half watch it, so only see half the goals as Arse win 5-1. Not as one sided as it sounds, but still that's gotta hurt.

No comments: