Wednesday 1 December 2021

Tuesday November 2021

News came yesterday that Andy, Jools'boss, has cancer of the blood, but not leukaemia.

Next comes analysis as how fardeveloped the disease is. Usually life exectancy is about 8 years, but we shall see.

Andy is gaunt and thin, which is to be expected, and is now pondering his choices as to wat to do, whether he wants to, or needs to come to work, or even if that is possible.

Treatment is to be planned, and I guess we shall see.

Jools has now been holding the fort in the office for three months, nearly. She was called back into the office the day I was in Cambridge, she was on a week's holiday too, and so had just five hours off. Everyone has a breaking point, and although the company are being very kid and considerate, she needs a break before she breaks.

She is due to have a week off from the 13th, and is now focussed on that. Really that should be her for the working year, as holiday is banked according to how many hours she works, so now has a huge amount. She needs the rest more than any money.

Next week was going to be worse, as I was due to travel to Denmark, but the rise of Omicron meant that after a meeting on Tuesday, the trip was cancelled. Mainly because of the transit through Amsterdam, a giant hub, and the risk of contracting it there from a passenger from anywhere else would be high.

The trip wasn't business critical, so all cancelled, which means I will be home and cook dinner, so she won't have that to do when she comes home. At least.

So, the week after, I will be home alone for at least four, if not five days. I promise not to have a party or five.

So lots of news, and surprisingly, my boss took the news and decision well. A trip over is now set for "some time next year".

I don't know what to say about Andy, I mean he is about five years younger than me, but has smoked and not taken his health seriously, but then do I? Its no age to be told. Sadly he has a wife who is 15 years older than he, and needs care, so who will care for Andy? Life can be very cruel sometimes.

But ours goes on.

As does work. Though I am not trying to belittle Andy's position. And those those who know and love him. Like us all, he has his faults, but the good points heavily outweigh those.

Three hundred and thirty four Jools is up again early, she feeds the cats and put the coffee on. I wake up to find Poppy alseep on the pillow beside me. She rolls over for a belly rub before going down the stairs for some scran.

I mooch about, make a second coffee and make some toast, and get on with the business of work, with two hours of meetings to start the day.

So it goes, so it goes.

Not much really to report. Outside, it was cold a cloudy, but would warm up later, though by the time I finished work, I didn't feel like going for a walk, anyway it was already getting dark just after three.

Sleeping Lunch is cheese on toast, as the bread was by then quite stale.

Cats sleep through the day, sometimes chasing each other. And Scully or Mulder acting as guards by the back door is easily avoided by Poppy asking to be let out the front door, which I do, and she trots away quite happy. Though Cleo has a problem with her tail. Later I would grab her for an inspection with Jools as you can see a gap in the fur, and it looks like an abcess has burst, so an appointment to the vets is to be booked. Other than the contant licking of the wound, she is fine, and bright-eyed.

Into the valley I pack away work, with a deep, deep sigh.

Dinner is to be fishcakes, stir fry and noodles. Easy peasy, but I have to delay cooking because of heavy traffic to the port which delays Jools.

Once I see the car reversing down the drive, I leap into action, ccoking the fishcakes and boiling the water for noodles.

There is football in the evening: Norwich away at Newcastle, the teams in 19th and 20th place. I'd have taken a point at the start. But as Newcastle had a player sent off in the 9th minute, we really should have gone on to win. But, football is never easy, at least the Norwich version. We concede a goal from a penalty, then just as I had given up, Pukki vollied the ball into the net.

Not a win, but not a defeat either, and we end the month unbeaten.

No comments: