Friday 26 April 2019

3399

Imagine a world where, for a few pounds, young people could travel around Europe for a month.

This was Europe in the 1970s with Inter-rail. You could travel around Europe, by train, dossing on stations or on night trains, and see the sights of Europe for just a few pounds.

This really happened, and young people from all over Europe took up the offer and travelled to other parts of Eureope, both sides of the Iron Curtain, and down to Greece, Spain or up to Norway.

I mention this as James, my friend and neighbour suggested we spend the summer of 1983 doing just that. Sounded great. Mother dearest was horrified.

She thought of a way to get me not to do it. I mean for fifty quid and a second hand or army surplus sleeping bag, we could be gone. I already had a passport for the camping trip the year before. I would be 18, and able to make my own choice.

She took me to Hughes, our local electrical store, and I looked at the wares. There was a very fine Technics micro system, just released, the separates and turntable were only just over 12 inches square, just big enough for an album. I was in love.

If I buy it for you, do you promise not to go on an Inter-rail trip?

I thought about it, and readers, I should have refused. But it was black, and sexy and would take up less room than my music centre.

I said yes.

She bought it, and it was mine.

At the same time, Mum enrolled me in the local Labour Party raffle, which offered cash prizes for the sun of 20p a week. Top prize was £325. Second week I was entered, Mum got a call from the party that I had won a prize. It wasn't a fiver or a tenner.

I won the top prize.

I paid off Mum, and with the money left over I bough the Joy Division back catalogue.

I could have gone on inter-rail after all, but it did not occur to me that I could. Or should. I just accelerated my vinyl addiction.

This even though I was unemployed, or for six months I was on a YOP scheme that offered no chance of a job, it paid seven pounds a week more than the dole, and that's the price of two twelve inch singles.

James and I never went on inter-rail. He did his second year at six form, then went to Richmond to University, met a young lady, but was killed in a car accident on Christmas Eve 1984.

We never went, and my memories of James are very hazy indeed. It is 35 years ago this year he died.

I bought a matching CD player for the hifi, even though as I wrote a few days ago, I don't really like albums. I didn't realise it at the time. Back then there was no credit cards, I had to get a bank loan that took two weeks to be approved before I could pick up the player and two CDs, No Jacket Required and Alf. Sound was crystal clear, but tinny.

I carried on buying vinyl, and only the occasional CD.

And I was able to tape John Peels sessions, tracks and whole shows. Though once I started work at the chicken factory, I needed to get to bed early so stopped listening and taping to John.

John Peel shows, 1983-1986. I still have many tapes, and I really should digitise them, maybe one day I will.

No comments: