Wednesday 3 April 2019

Tuesday 2nd April 2019

Travel time again.

The project roars on, and we are heading towards the offshore construction phase, and so the parts for the turbine are being delivered prior to loading onto the installation vessel.

And I have to go and show my face.

So I have to fly to Denmark.

Meaning I had to catch a train to London.

Meaning I had to get up at half four.

As usual.

And the clocks having gone back, it was still dark when we got up, and dawn had barely begun when we loaded the car so Jools can take me to Martin Mill for the start of the first leg.

The usual passengers arrive, nod greetings to each other, and me, while we look then in different directions so not to have to make small talk.

I look up to the tree tops where the crows were still arguing with each other, squawking warnings to each other, but a single blackbird offered a fine musical counterpoint, singing for the joy of the new spring day.

I smiled.

The train arrived, I climbed on, put my case in the rack and take me usual seat near to the centre of the coach, left hand side. Daylight was now abroad, and so I could look for the usual landmarks on our way to London. Soon after leaving Folkestone, a mist began to rise from the fields, and by Ashford, it was as my Dad would say "thick as guts". I worried flights were going to be delayed, or have to be driven out to Southend.

But no, once out of the North Downs Tunnel, the fog had cleared, the sun now shone down from a clear blue sky.

Lovely.

I make my way to the airport, mixing with those going to the building sites at West Silvertown and Pontoon Dock. I and other travellers get off at London City, I had forgotten to check in online, so I had to wait to check my case in, but being a Tuesday, it wasn't busy. I waltz through security and walk to one of the distant gates to sit down and read the new copy of WSC that had arrived the day before.

BLL The flight is called, I walk to Gate 9 and soon our tiny jet is taxiing, and the dozen or so of us wait for the passengers to get off, then we could board.

BA 8209 I used to know most of the flight crew on these flights, but people move on, and the regular Lego executives have changed too. One stewardess, can we still call them that?, I am friendly with, but I have not seen her for nearly a year, but as I lined up to board, I could tell it was her by the bun in her hair.

Thames Barrier I was second from last one, she squealed with delight and I get a hug.

Does everyone get a hug the Danish businessman behind me asks.

I sit down, the plane is made ready, and we move off.

It is a bright day, but there were clouds, so once we had taken off, we went into the first cloud, and the plane lurched.

This continued for ten minutes or more, until the plane had climbed above the cloud tops, so I could relax the grip on the seat in front of me, my knuckles white with fear.

But the flight settled down, and I relaxed and read some more.

Ninety two Denmark was enjoying the weather we had on Saturday; warm, sunny and a gentle breeze.

I am given a Renault Grand Espace, room for ten, and drive the 45 minutes to the coast and the office.

Familiar landmarks slip by, I am happy.

The project team is in the office too, so we greet other and I then have the first of the three meetings that afternoon.

At half five I drove to the hotel, the Britannia, not stayed here for years as parking is difficult, but needs must. It has had a facelift, is bright and welcoming. And once I have dropped my bag in the room, I go down to the bar to quality check the Kroneburg.

It passed.

The rest of the team arrived and we walk over to the old post office which is now a restaurant. Of course. We have a table booked, but service is dreadfully slow. I had not eaten since breakfast, so was hungry. We all had a starter and a main course, which came just after ten. I had something described as Kobe pork.

It tasted wonderful to empty stomach.

I also made two pints of Grimbergen dubbel vanish. I was happy and full.

No comments: