Friday 19 April 2019

Thursday 18th April 2019

Maundy Thursday (PH, Denmark)

Yesterday, Wednesday, might not have been a PH in Denmark, just most Danes and so most of my colleagues also decided that a 5 day weekend wasn't enough, and too an extra day. But, Thursday was was a public holiday.

What this all meant was that I could finally catch up on a stack of work I had to do.

No one to have meetings with.

No phone calls.

Just uninterrupted work.

As long as I kept my procrastination under control.

And it did mean that I logged onto work without the feeling of dread that usually happens as I wait for the landslip of e mails to come tumbling down.

And, outside, spring had arrived. I mean it was frikki glorious. No wind, warm sunshine and temperatures in the mid-teens. And I had to work.

And there was that book. Good Omens. I had read some on the way back on the train at the weened, and it was still there, looking at me, tempting me with its off the wall humour.

Dang it.

But, very first, was travel expenses. Locate all receipts. Scan them. E mail them to my work addy. Fill out the report, add the scans of the receipts. Press "submit".

And there goes two hours.

And then, reports.

Go through each one, add comments. Upload new verification documents. Chase various departments for answers.

I had a cheese and vegetable omelette, no wine.

And more work.

And at half two, my brain was fried.

I go to sit in the garden, take Bad Omens with me, and a pint of orange squash, and whiled away two and a half hours. As I read, cats played around my feet, and birds sang and visited the feeders, the air was full of scents and miasmas from our spring flowers.

One hundred and seven This might not be heaven, but is close.

Jools returns home, we would have gone for a walk or sat in the garden, but a strong breeze had built, and was getting chilly. So we went in, I made caprese and some garlic bread.

Spiky I write, listen to the radio, then at nine I went to bed to finish the book, finishing at ten past eleven.

Outside the near full moon shone down from a clear sky. A single owl hooted. And Scully meowed at me, asking what time did I think I was going to go to sleep, as there was some serious snuggling to do.

Who was I to argue?

No comments: