Saturday 13 March 2021

Trans-world COVID

My new department, not mine but the one I am part of, is a multi-national one. I live and work in the UK, my boss and collegues from the old company live in Denmark, another works in Holland, another in Italy and the rest in India.

I am 55, so not many much older than I am, most in their 30s and 40s, some have health issues. And yet I am the only one to have a vaccine. For those in other, even EU contries, a vaccine is weeks, maybe months away.

In both Denmark and Italy, two fatalities, one in each, occurred after someone receiving the AZ vaccine, the one I had. Denmark have suspended the rollout there, and Italy did so for 24 hours. With about 10,000,000 done in the UK with that vaccine, I am not aware of any issues, other than various strenghts of flu-like symptoms.

It is expected that all 40s will have had their first jab by the end of June, we should have had our second by then. Death-rates in the UK are showing reallysharp falls, and if they continue as expected, we really are on the right track.

But, there has to be a working track, trace and isolate scheme in place, and there isn't. Depsite so much money being thrown at it, and no one apprently keeping the receipts. Putting the nation's health in a single weapon, the vaccine, is risky, I do hope it doesn't come to be something we regret.

Meanwhile, my colleague in Italy said her daughter put her details in a website to see when she could get a vaccine, and the result was February next year. In India, frontline staff can apply, as well as those over 45 years old.

We can celebrate the roll out in the UK, but that does not mean we should let Johnson, Hancock and Harding off the 140,000 deaths they have caused, and the tens of billions spent with no transparancy. They will use the vaccine as cover for their crimes, and we should never forget.

The PM will set the terms for the inquiry, and will do so to limit its scope and protect himself and his Ministers.

No comments: