Thursday 26 December 2019

Orchid adventures outside Kent

If there was a word to describe my orchid adventures elsewhere in England and in Denmark, it would be disappointment.

One hundred and fifty two In May I went on three orchid hunting trips in Denmark. I bought a field guide, but was in Danish, but it suggested a few sites near to Esbjerg. I know I was in the right area, but each time i drew a blank.

First up was an area of dunes/I was hoping to see Coralroot Orchids, a species I have not seen in the UK as it is found in Northern England and Scotland.

I walked for hours in the dnes, looking in slacks and dried up pools, but no rosettes, no spikes. No orchids.

One hundred and fifty three I did see a Sand Lizard though. I saw more than one, but the first burrowed away into the sand as I stood nearby. But later, basking on a piece of driftwood nearby, was a splendid specimen; it aw me, but was far enough not to be too alarmed. When I moved to get a little closer, it went off in a flash of green. But this alone made the entire trip worthwhile.

Next day I visited an artificial lake, but it seems I parked on the wrong side, I walked for miles and saw not one orchid. Again. I did see Common Cow Wheat, the foodplant for the Heath Fritillary Butterfly, but saw none of those either.

The great Danish Orchid hunt. Part 2 Another day of walking for miles and miles, in a stiff breeze with neither site no smell of an orchid. After several hours walking, I find a map which suggested meadow habitat on the other side of the site, but with the car already an hour's walk away, I gave up.

Finally, in Denmark, I take the ferry from Esbjerg to Fanø. On the island were several sites for the rare Bog Orchid. I checked the book, cross checked online, and I thought I could find the site.

I caught the ferry, then once landed on the island, the site was at least an hour's walk away. I took no food or water with me, which would prove to be a mistake.

I find the first of the sites, and search for hours. I saw no rosettes.

Thing is, Bog Orchids are tiny, I knew that, but I was sure if they were there, I would have seen one.

Drosera intermedia Oblong-leaved sundew Later I find another, smaller site, and this felt more likely; damper. But apart from Oblong Leaved Sundew and a fine Marsh Genetian, I find little of interest. But he genetian made the trip worthwhile.

Gentiana pneumonanthe Marsh Gentian Back in England, on two trips to Suffolk, I call in at Wink's Meadow to look for the Frog Orchids.

I had found them the last three years, but this being a little later, the site was more overgrown, and the paths not so clear where the orchids grow. I search until well into the evening, and find no sign.

I give in.

Finally, I organised a meet at Rye Harbour just over the border in Sussex to look for the white Bee orchids that grow there.

I think some doubted how I could be so certain there would be found.

After walking along the seawall, I stop and one of the group comes and asked me where the orchids are. I wave my hand and say "they are everywhere".

And indeed they were.

One hundred and sixty Most had seen Bees before, so seeing a pure white and green one, or dozens of them, was astonishing for them to see this variant, and numbering on the dozens.

Though the hour and a half walk back to the ferry was long and painful, and when I got back in the village, all the shops and restaurants had closed for the afternoon.

THe planned trip to Gait Barrows was cancelled, as the lady Slippers just about failed there. I could have gone to another site, but decided against it, as I had to get back to work. So, something for next year.

Theres always something new to see.

No comments: